Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone planning to go spearing anytime soon?

I'm doing all I can just to get out flounder fishing this weekend, let alone actually getting wet. I'm just looking for someone to live vicariously through!

Matt

·
Registered
132 Posts
I was thinking of trying some of the jetties for tog soon. the paper said the bay was 57 and that is warm enough for me, I just dont know how deep the thermocline is.

·
Registered
805 Posts
If weather conditions permit, I'll be on the 3rd. or the 4th. island on the 28th. from early in the morning.
I'll be nice and I'll give them a choice, take the crab or take the shaft. [grin]

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I'm thinking about a survey trip to the tower soon. Ocean is up to 60F so it wont be too long before spades will start appearing. The spades show up but wont bite till the temp is right but that dont mean you cant shoot them. [grin][grin][grin] Martin

·
Registered
805 Posts
Well.. headed out to lynnhaven Saturday night with kids to get a good start on things, I got to the ramp around 9:00PM and started fishing the South East side of the bridge where I baged a few nice size mullets and a lg. Clearnose skate before "my crew" headed in for the night. A few hrs. later it was time for a move so I headed out to the 1St. and 2nd. island where I spended a few more l o n g hrs. hrs and NADA, not even one bite. By sunlight the tide was soooo low and the water so cold there was no way this dude was getting in so by 7:00AM I pulled the metal out (crew still sleeping) and headed out to the ramp and to Oregon Inlet, NC. when the rain started to come down heavy (now my crew is up but just showing their heads out from the door)

We got to Nags Head early in the AM and the weather was just magnifico so we made plans to do some fishing again late Sunday night.

The tide was going out and so was the daylight when we got to the ramp at OI. and by the looks of it there were just a handfull of boats out that evening. We did some trolling in and out of the inlet and got two small Blues soon after we set out for the night just inside and to the South from the center as the tide was still going out. We put out about six rods for small fish and that was a big mistake!
The spot where we anchor was full of fish eating something on the surface all around the boat but no bites. About and hr. or so before the tide changed we got a hit on a lite rod setup (20lb.test) and by the time the hook was set it had gone under the boat and far to the other side taking line with a good drag like it had no end turning the boat a bit at times. The crew and I work "the thing" for about 10 to 15 min. then the line got cut and we lost ower wale. Some time after we got another hit, this time it was a lg. blue fish (was returned to fight another day) but no comparison in size to the first fish that got away. We had a nice time at the inlet that night but not too many fish to take home at the end, next time!

·
Registered
805 Posts
It can't be too warm. Just last weekend and in low tide the temp. just inside of the Bay was 60. When the tide came in at OI that temp. when down a few degrees. A bit too cold for me even with with a two piece 7mm. I'm just going to wait a few more weeks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts