Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eminent Brothers,
Back during the striper moritorium I had my share of Diawa bass tackle. But I haven't got anything Diawa for many moons now. Since I didn't buy that Big black Tim McGraw Resistol, I'm looking to make my annual after Christmas winter/spring "Don't Need It But Want It Anyway" purchase. So I've been looking at new fishing stuff in all the catalogs and there are a few Diawa products that caught my eye. But I am hesitant to try anything Diawa without hearing what my fellow TF Brethern have to say.......so I await any sage words of wisdom you can spare.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I've had a few Diawa's and they've held up about the same as my Shimano's. Bfaithful caught a nice 40" stripa on a light weight Megaforce baitcaster last Jan and plenty of fish on it since. I have a Sealine 400H that is a tank, similar to a Penn 113. The slosh conventionals are excellent also.
Which reels are you looking at?

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I posted a while ago about sending two reels out for repair. I had a Team Diawa and a Stradic that needed service. Both reels were a little noisy. Both reels were sent out on the same day but I received the Diawa about a month after I got back the Stradic. Diawa also charged me $30 and Shimano charged me nothing. I think I had the Stradic back a week later. That's about all I need to know for future purchases.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I am a Diawa fan personally. In my experience, their reels hold up marginally better than Shimanos in saltwater (although the Shimanos are fine). I second the SLOSH comments: I have those in non level wind that I've used for surf fishing that have been sorely abused, yet still work great. For light tackle, I would look first to Daiwa, Shimano, and Abu Garcia, depending on reel type (spinning vs casting) and price. I won't buy Penns any more outside of trolling gear after some bad experiences, and I bought some dud Quantums years ago, and avoid their stuff as well. Things may have improved since then, but I have been soured.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a couple of the Tierra 2500s and Team Diawa 2500s. They just don't seem to hold up well over time compared to others. The Tierra is a nice reel for the money. Have used the Saltist and did not like it at all for jigging. I have Shimanos also. But my favorite reels are the Quantums. The Energy PT Inshore and Cabo PTs are my favorites. They are a little heavier but the drags are so smooth.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I like Diawa spinning reels and Abu Garcia casting reels. I have a bunch of each and have never had problems with either. The handles on Diawa spinning reels do come loose and need to be tightened periodically. Abu Garcia has a spinning reel called Soron, or something. I may buy one of those next based on my experience with their Revo casting reels.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I've had a few Diawa's and they've held up about the same as my Shimano's. Bfaithful caught a nice 40" stripa on a light weight Megaforce baitcaster last Jan and plenty of fish on it since. I have a Sealine 400H that is a tank, similar to a Penn 113. The slosh conventionals are excellent also.
Which reels are you looking at?
the "twitching bar" froze up on my megaforce (which is a cheap reel) and I had it disconnected. Other than that it is a decent reel for the little money. Note that I dont use the reel nearly as hard as a lot of die hard light tackle guys on TF.

I will say that I have a Daiwa Coastal Inshore still on my wish list.

·
Registered
162 Posts
All Daiwa...All the time!! but I'm telling ya, do not overlook the Pflueger Supreme XT. The new black one. Priced at 150.00. I know , I know... never thought I'd be caught using one either, but
definitely the sweeeetest....smoooothest...drag I've ever seen:yes: As far repair or warranty work for Daiwa...I can't tell ya, I've never had to send one back!!

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I still have a few of the gold spinning reels left.

Most of the silver reels have gone to reel heaven.

Diawa used to have a shop in Hanover years ago. It was great to take reels in for repair. I was big into ultra light in the late 80's and literally was destroying reels each month. The Diawa guys would take my busted reel and give me a new one - or fix it right there.
They were curious about what parts were failing.

Said they hardly ever saw drag threads stripped or plier marks on drag knobs.

Once the shop closed - I think local interest in them waned.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Daiwa Saltist levelwind are excellent, great for Tarpon and Snook.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I have a Saltist 40 2speed LD for tuna jiggin that I'm pretty impressed with. It caught it's fair share of BFT last year. All of my light tackle stuff has Shimano reels so i can't comment on Diawa's.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Been using Diawa BG's for nearly 30 years all over the bay and ocean. I still have some of the original ones in my rod arsenal and use them regularly.

I don't much pick up anything but a BG15 and basically use that for all my striper fishing both ocean and bayside. They've handled 20 pounders with no evidence of strain. (Except on me :) ) Bluefish at the Bass Grounds off OC are no problem either. Best darn reels I've ever used.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eminent Brothers
Thanks but nevermind.....seems the local country western store actually found a BIG black Tim McGraw (now called a McGowen) Resistol that fits......almost anyway. Seems my head shape doesn't conform to the hat shape. Too tight front to back and too loose side to side, but; they said the hat will eventually conform. So I'm back to being conflicted again

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I have a Saltist 40 2speed LD for tuna jiggin that I'm pretty impressed with. It caught it's fair share of BFT last year. All of my light tackle stuff has Shimano reels so i can't comment on Diawa's.
Had a bunch of different things out this summer, and this one did great, I think it was the 20 or 30 size, but I'm not certain on that, wish my back had done 1/2 as well.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I still have the first spinning reel I ever bought back in 1979-a Diawa 7250RLA. At the time, it was one of the few reels that had an easy conversion for right/left retieve (as opposed to the old Quicks that you had to convert internally-I still have one of those too!). It has made the trip form North Carolina to California and back to Maryland and has caught lots of fish including some 20+# carp and is still going strong. I have retired it just to preserve it. I bought a cheap Diawa a few years ago for perch and such and it is as nice and as smooth as a lot of my more expensive reels. I have been using it for the YP at Owens for the past couple of years.

·
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Eminent Brothers,
I still have my first Mitchel-Garcia spin reel my parents got for me with green stamps way back in my worm fishing for bluegill days. And I traded in my first Diawa reel a few years ago during one of the BPS reel trade in's and got a Quantom Cabo PT. But Diawa has a new rod that caught my eye for $80 that is advertised to be the latest Japanese styling!!! I bet that will look good at the CCNPP!!! But my local country western store convinced me to put that BIG Black Tim McGraw Reisitol on lay-a-way because it fits, it's the last one they have and they are being discontinued. So I did, but; while I was out I stopped by BPS and actually saw the Diawa rod up close and personal. I'll check the local shops first before I buy it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts