Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to a guy last Friday at the boat ramp in the upper Potomac who had one of these IB/OB jet motor kayaks. I thought it was pretty cool. He could go pretty much anywhere he wanted.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
799 Posts
Very interesting idea, but ouch at that price point. With 2 people that fish it would cost just about what we paid for our boat.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I am a full-time kayak user and personally have no interest in making a small plastic boat into a motorized craft. If some other user wants to do that, feel free. But at some point, you lose the advantage of a lightweight, easily transportable vessel that can sneak into very skinny water.

Several companies make electric motors specifically for the kayak sector, but they don't push a boat at 20 mph. I have fished with kayak guides who have electric motors on their kayaks. They can tow clients over longer distances to reach new fishing spots. I understand how motors can be beneficial to guides. I know of some recreational kayak anglers who want to have the longer range provided by a motor-propelled craft. That is personal preference, but is not for me.

There are micro-skiffs like Solo Skiffs that are not much larger than kayaks and use a gas engine. Americans love to "pimp their ride" and customize any type of vehicle so it is a bit different from anyone else's vehicle. I see this type of product as appealing to that niche. In past years I have owned two different Gheenoe models. These are small, slender, basic boats that use outboard motors, but should not be confused with kayaks.

The Mokai hull design mimics a sit-inside kayak (portions of the hull are covered, with an oval opening to sit in. This style of hull is common in recreational and touring kayaks, but is generally not favored when using kayaks for fishing. Instead, a sit-on-top hull design is far and away the most common.

·
Registered
399 Posts
That's an odd little machine. No thank you. One of my kayaks has an electric motor and it's amazing.......sometimes. I love being able to rig rods or drink coffee while heading to the fishing spot and not have to paddle and the Spot-Lock feature is terrific. BUT the boat weighs easily twice as much as my normal little kayak and that's before I put the motor, battery, seat, fishfinder, and assorted gear in it. There is a time and place for both. For what this jet drive thing costs just buy a used jon boat.

·
Registered
218 Posts
But it will go places and do things nothing else will.
No standard boat can go in really skinny water or run up rocky rapids like that.
A jet drive can inherently go much shallower than any prop driven craft except a mud motor And a mud motor can't run rocky rapids - you will destroy the prop
If you want to quickly reach distant places over really shallow bays (think seaside VA eastern shore down out of oyster, for example) without worrying about tides or going aground - only a jonboat with a mud motor would give it a run for the money.
I'd prefer it constructed of rotomolded plastic and at a lower weight and price, but I could see it as capable of doing a variety of things no other single boat can do.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Saw video with a Mokai being used for ice out muskrat hunting in Alaska years ago, thought it was cool as hell!

Actually looked at one for sale in Virginia soon after.

Different tools for different jobs.

Had one of these cross the ROAD in front of me in west OC this spring.
Cool, but not my cup of tea.
Plus, I'm pretty good at backing up a trailer, lol.

Cloud Sky Water Vehicle Automotive exterior

1 - 15 of 15 Posts