Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we can't fish for rock, and since the perch haven't been active in my neck of the woods (yet), I gave snakehead a shot in some upper creeks of a mid-Bay trib yesterday. Fished paddle tails on a spinner and a few other lures in 1 to 2' mud flats close to marshes/grasses. No luck.

I hear they're loaded in the Pax and Potomac but wonder how prevalent they are in other Western shore rivers like South, Severn, Magothy?

Anyone give them a shot this time of year?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I know they are in those rivers but if in that area it's worth the drive a bit north to the bird gunpowder bush and nearby areas. Very thick there.

I'm sure the patapsco near belle grove ponds and the ponds themselves would be productive too.

the upper pax is close too of course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fish them in deeper water that leads to those summer time haunts till the water warms up a bit more.. They won't be up in the shallows yet. I got 3 so far, nothing big yet.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Belle Grove has some but not a ton from what I’ve seen. Although trusted rumors have them stacked at one of the dams😉. I say rumor because it’s not first hand knowledge but I trust who told me

Upper Pax has some, caught some just above Wayson’s 2 years ago. Little Pax has some around Savage.

I keep hearing more and more on the upper western shore rivers noted above and I know there were some documented Spring FB posts from Conowingo last year of good numbers.

Potomac is nowhere near what it was. Bowhunters shot alot out of there. Yes they can be controlled!!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Last year Conowingo dam shut down the fish lift they use to get shad over the dam because snakeheads kept showing up in the lift and they didn't want to spread them above the dam. They are definitely up there in decent numbers but I haven't caught one in that river yet.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The bigger fish lift, which they call the east fish lift, is in the middle between the generation units and the floodgates. There is a smaller one at the Harford County shore that loads trucks instead of dumping the fish upstream of the dam but I don't think they've used that one in a few years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts