Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a couple of small 6 inch umbrellas rigged with spoons late last fall from Clydes. Never really got to use them last year. Does anyone troll them in the spring with any success? Also bought a large spinnerbait type lure with a huge blade. My guess is that the flash it puts out may really attract fish, at least bring it close to one of my other rigs. I was thinking about hooking it up in tandem with a large heavier parachute dressed with a shad. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
On the spinnerbait, ya might want to switch the swivel to a better quallity BB swivel on the spinner blade. I had 2 of them fail in the past.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Yep, they will definitely work. Run a parachute to the umbrella with a 9" shad instead of a small spoon which may have come with it.

This year, I plan on trying an umbrella rig consisting of 2-7" spoon umbrellas rigged in tandem about 18" apart with a parachute trailing. I'm guessing that rig will put off some serious flash, and outfish my other baits, we'll see!!!

As already said, those small spoon umbrellas are HOT in the summer, just awesome!!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've caught more than a few spring fish on chutes with 6 or 9" trailers behind schoolie rigs which are from the same principal.

Just remember, the bigger the spinner blade and the better the BB swivels, the more drag you're gonna have...it can get to be a bear to pull in.

Ed

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
I used mine during the summer with nice success. I plan to use it this Spring, but change the trailing spoon to an 11/0 CA.

·
Registered
616 Posts
We have tried the BA spinner baits a bunch of times - caught some grass once -

They look so good, we just keep on trying them...I think we are over it now though..

Hans

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
guys are right...One of the best schoolie summer rigs there is... chartreuse flash 3 1/4 spoons on a 7" frame. 18" leader and chart tail...6/0 hook...awesome rig

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Yes- in early June I use the small 4-6 arm umbrellas with a white # 18 tony that outperforms my other pulls. For some reason chartrause teasers with a white spoon catches better than an all white setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts