Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Has anyone used the product called Poly Glow? Saw it advertised and talked to one man who used it on his older Bertram and he said it was great. Just wanted some more input on it. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I think it's acrylic. I used it on an older boat and it looked good for a couple of months. But it deteriorates. I stripped it off, and wetsanded the whole rig. 30 hours with an airsander. (34 foot boat) After that, fleetwax kept it looking great.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I used it on my Bertram a couple years ago and I wouldn't go so far as to say the results were great. Good might be better, it does work as they claim but it's essential the surface be clean and free from any dust or debris. Yes, it is an acrylic that basically puts a clear acrylic coat on the surface. I applied the 6 coats, as I recall they recommend but after all was said and done you could see streaks if you looked at it from the right angle. When I hauled the boat in the fall you could see some areas where it had worn off. Bottom line I ended up removing it, which requires the use of acetone or similar chemical. I didn't see where it really saved me very much, In fact, considering the time it took to remove, it acutally was more work than compounding and waxing. The hull of my boat is an off white color and was not chalky, not sure what would be achieved on a darker color that was chalky or faded. Good luck.

Sam

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have never used poly glow but I have used Vertglas, probably similar products. Prep is everything. I sanded the hull starting with 800 grit, 1200 grit and 1600 grit, washed the hull, compounded the hull and washed again. Applied as per instructions. It sealed the fiberglass so good that Dawn for dishes cleanes the diesel soot off the transom. The shine lasted for 2 seasons. I just cleaned the hull again and reapplied the Vertglas, it still looks good. A lot of work but if done correctly looks good and lasts. If it streaks 1)you did it wrong, 2) apply some more, it flows together and takes the streaks away, 7 or 8 very thin coats are better than 1 or 2 thick ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts