Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a DSC radio (any VHF fixed mount radio made beginning in 1999), you can call another boat via their MMSI number and the system automatically switches both radios to your chosen channel. By picking a recreational boater channel not normally monitored by fishermen such as 69, 71, 72 or 78, it is unlikely other fishermen on the water will listen to your conversation.

I’m not sure if this DSC feature has really caught on among Bay fishermen. But there may be a few taking advantage especially when out of cell phone range or poor cell connection.

I would be interested to hear if you have used this feature and what you think of it.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have used it communicating between vessels offshore and when making yacht deliveries up and down the cost and over to the Bahamas reslly do not see any use in the bay as all private calls can be made via cell phone.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have tried to get this to work before without any luck. Seemed valuable to me especially if you are alerting a buddy to a hot bite.

I was under the impression it would put that vessel on my GPS as well, a "position report"?

I have an Garmin 188c which is about at it's end of life, I'd be interested in new functionality available with current technology.. one could hope.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was under the impression it would put that vessel on my GPS as well, a "position report"?
Yes, my radio has the ability to send a GPS position request to a buddy. That way you can see exactly where they are catching fish without having to broadcast it to the world. It is more accurate than even a cell phone location description from your friend. Of course, your buddy still has the ability to deny your request for his position if he wants to keep it a secret.

There are some great electronic features out there that could be very useful to fishermen. But I am finding that many are slow to adopt the technology.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Not useful for calling others because it is not private, however it is possible to use it for sharing your position with your buddies, and I have been successful in having it automatically marking my buddy's position on my chart plotter. I think it will be useful to create a buddy list and send a location request out to your buddies to find out exactly where they are.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Without a doubt, the best feature of DSC is to alert the CG of your position should you be in distress and do not have time for a Mayday call. Pushing your distress button works! My 3 yr old son pushed it one time while I was in my driveway working on my boat. Literally within seconds, the CG was calling my vessel by name on the radio, my cell phone was ringing, and my wife came out of the house with the home phone in her hand saying that the CG was on the line for me!! The CG chief I talked to chuckled when I told him what happened.

Talk about peace of mind while alone on the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts