Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anybody check with APG i hear they are enforcing a 500 ft limit to shore from sandy pt north.the patrol boat was there friday.:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Not sure what APG would have to do with sandy point (assuming you mean sandy point state park) but there is nothing mentioned in the USCG Notice to Mariners.

Here is APG's boundries:

·
Registered
29 Posts
APG Enforcement

My wife who works as a dispatcher for APG Law Enforcement Service and Marine Patrol, says that this is a standard stand off distance from shore of 500 Ft and that they are enforcing. If testing is going on then expect really strict enforcement.

Craig

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Ah didn't see that sandy point thanks Kevin

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
megabye, correcto.

I have heard several people comment about this. This has never happened that I know of, since the C & R started on the flats.

News to me.

Ele

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
can anybody check with APG i hear they are enforcing a 500 ft limit to shore from sandy pt north.the patrol boat was there friday.:helpsmilie:
I will check with the game warden at APG tomorrow to see what they are enforcing. Technically, APG ownes a large amount of the bay from Carrol Island to Spesutie. Various areas are closed periodically as testing dictates but they usually lift the closures when they don't have firing programs that impact on the bay. They also generally try to minimize programs on weekends if they can but that is not guaranteed. If you look at the map, you will see that the APG property line is well off shore at Sandy Point. If I find out anything, I will post tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I was out Friday and they were enforcing very stricly... Get close and they come a running sirens and all..
You may have entered into a dangerous situation, after they patrolled, and closed the rivers for manuvers, or firing. It probably was for your safety. I've only been asked to leave that area one time, in the last ten years, and they were very nice. Were they nice to you?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I didn't go near there... I was anchored past 500 yrds from shore so they didn't bother me, but was funny whan a boat came along and started to anchor I heard them start there engines up and fly over to them... It's seemed to me liek they were pleasent to the people.. Ele was right though, last year I fished there all of april and never seen them come out once...

·
Registered
546 Posts
There were a few boats in tight on Sat. No sign of APG. DNR and Coast Guard buzzed around a bit, but no warnings. Maybe they are more strict during testing.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Like Jerry said, it's all according to what programs are going on at the time. As an aside, I see these guys regularly and they're alright.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
They are doing some tank testing, (floating type) near Lucas point (radar tower), Thursday or Friday the APG boat was tied up on the channel buoy right off the point where they were doing the testing. I was riding on the Island seeing this, but I am not sure how long this will be going on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We were out on Friday and watched them chase boats around with their siren on and everything. After a bit, they came after us. I thought we were well out of their water, but evidently we crossed their imaginary line. Guy driving the boat acted like they were getting ready to detonate a nuclear bomb right on top of us and we should know better, but there was another guy on the back of the boat who said no big deal, they don't enforce this very often, and gave us a brochure explaining the whole thing. According to the brochure, we needed to watch out for the orange and white buoys indicating it was a restricted area. Maybe they ought to consider putting them out if they intend to enforce this in the future?

All in all, not a terrible experience, and added some excitement to a slow fishing day. No fish, not one.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Sorry folks, I'm suffering from CRS disease (can't remember stuff). I was tied up in meetings all day (otherwise I would have been out on the river fishing) and forgot to find out what is going on with the patrols. I sent myself an email so I wouldn't forget tomorrow. As Ken said, they have been running some amphib tests out there, but I don't think they have been getting anywhere near Sandy Point with the tests.

What really stinks is that I am tied up again tomorrow and Wednesday all day both days and then the bottom falls out of the weather on Thursday. Work sure has a way of messing up my fishing.

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Bruce - how are you? Did you get any fish ?

I think the 500' blows, last year there were times where topwater up against that shoreline was the ticket

·
Registered
97 Posts
JP...Doing great...

It sucks out there now...6" to maybe 1' vis at best. Water temps in the 50's. NOT jigging time yet.

To be honest, I don't know when the water will clear up. If you look at a sat shot of the bay, it's muddy down towards Balt. and the Susky is still flowing from upstream...Where is the clean water gonna come from? Oh well, maybe a miracle will happen.

Call when you come up John. Barb and I would love to have dinner with you guy's...

our best...

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Bruce - I looked at MODIS and your right it's brown from Bay Bridge all the way up the Susky into PA. I might try to find some Herring in the creeks tomorrow and if I do I might take my daughter to the flats next weekend. Will call when I'm heading your way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts