Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been up there fly fishing? Saw a thread on the 'Virginia' forum about nice rainbows located there. Thought I might go up for a couple days and give it a try. Any recommendations on flies? Thinking streamers or possibly nymps as there definitely won't be any 'flies' alive with these tempuratures.

Tks,
Kyle

·
Registered
286 Posts
You'll need tio tie up some "Ice Breakers":D Call the game check station before you go and check and see if they are frozen over. I think they are right now. I made a trip up once and the lake was froze over, I threw an approx 25lb boulder on it, to try and break it up, nada! We finally got a hole busted, but it's not like you can fly fish through an ice hole. :D I also saw a guy take his car jack on a rope once to throw out and drag back thru to clear some thin ice, about the 3rd-4th throw; yep the jack came off.:D I can only wonder if that guy ever got a flat before replacingthe jack; Dohhh! :D
http://www.aphill.army.mil/sites/mwr/inc/troutflier_2007.pdf
Also, the game check is closed on Sundays, so unless you already have the trout card from AP Hill, you're not gettin' in on Sundays. For fly patterns think, pellet like or spoony ;)
Later, Harry

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Trout at APHILL???:confused: Man is that new? :eek: After I got out of the regs. Back in the mid 60's I spent some time their while in the guard. I always took a pack rod in my duffle bag and put it in my jeep. I fished mostlly poppers for bluegill and bass. Those ponds all over that post always looked good.;) :D But are they cold enough to hold trout. over?

·
Registered
286 Posts
SF,
Not sure how long they have been doing it, I've gone the past 3 years. I don't think I will this year, but I say that every year. Last year they overstocked and the fishing was good! From what I heard, they missed which year the boy scout jamboree was being held there, so they had stocked a lot!:D They are not cold enough to hold trout over, thats why at the end of the season you can keep all you want. It's only two of the lake/ponds on the base "Buzzards Roost" and "Beaver Dam". Each lake has about 2 good spots, and they are almost always filled with bait dunkers, but they leave as soon as they get there limit.:)
Later, Harry

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point Harry! Don't want to be going up there wasting my time. Just looking for a good opportunity to throw a fly because I have done in a few weeks and am getting desparate! The thought of going for some rainbows sounded nice but don't want to spend time travelling there and being out of luck. Thought of also going to the hot ditch but am getting conflicting stories on whether it's all private property or not. That's the unfortunate thing about not having a boat...I only get to read about you guys and your awesome striper catches!

Tks.
Kyle

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
hey Harry I thought it was a later thing. When I was their it was in the late 60's and very early 70's.;) :)

Hey pax you have got to tell that story. bwahahaha now if it would have been a very young and skinny seal . I would have bet you saw the kidd out for a swim. ;) :D

·
Registered
232 Posts
I talked to a guy today that said the place is iced over and very unfishable. I would wait till atleast the middle of next week when the water warms up. He also said they had not stocked since 28th of January and they missed the last stocking because the lakes were frozen.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeh, just call the game check, they'll give you the straight scoop before you go up there.
If you have a vehicle that can carry a 13ft gheenoe, your welcome to borrow mine. I only have a paddle for it, but it is registered, so if you have a trolling motor or something you could throw on it, it's legal. Up to 10hp. :D Hmmmm, might have to go hit the old ditch myself, cabbin fever is setting in. :cool:
Later, Harry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts