Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I a going down to Charleston in April. I am thinking about bringing my boat down, but unsure of the fishing conditions this time of year.

Is this a good time of the year for fishing? If so, what type of fish will be biting? Any insight would be great.

Thanks in Advance,

Scot

·
Registered
24 Posts
Scot,
Not sure what kind of boat you have. Inshore conditions are good all year round but spring and fall are excellent. You can expect good opportunities at trout and redfish (locally, "spottail"). It's been a strange weather year, so I'll be interested to see how the flounder show.

If you have a bit larger boat, the harbor and jetties offer larger drum, jacks and sharks. There are also a few accessible reefs (sea bass). If you are really motivated, you can catch sheephead at pretty much any structure with live fiddlers.

I'd recommend you visit one of the local tackle shops and get some pointers on location/technique. For the inshore stuff, you should bring some 8-12 pound spinning gear and perhaps tie on a heavier section of leader for the oysters for your jigs. I use 50# gear with shock leaders for the heavier fish (bull drum, sharks, etc)--but maybe that's overkill.

On the Mt. Pleasant side, Remley's Point is probably the best ramp as far as location and condition.

I leave with just one more plug for the guides working down there. If you are staying a few days, you might be well advised to book a 4-6 hour trip (perhaps on your boat--some of those guys will do that). It's not real difficult fishing, but different if you've never been on a tidal flat before. Otherwise, just follow the other boats. Not a whole lot of "secret spots."

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
April

Thanks for the 411. This was more than I was expecting and you gave me some real good options.

I should have been much more specific on my boat and where I wanted to fish. I have a 23' bay boat and wanted to trying fishing the tidal area, bay and maybe a little off shore (5-20 miles if this is a good area).

I have not been in this area before, so tidal flat will be new for me. I'll do a some research, to see if I can link up with a local guide and definitely hit the local tackle shops for the right gear and techniques.

Thanks Again!

Scot

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you are used to fishing the rivers and creeks in the bay then all of Charleston harbor and its tributaries shouldn't pose any different of a navagaional problem. Just follow the bouys and pay attention to the tide. I fish the poquoson flats allot and its no different than the back creeks in charleston. For tackle shops give Haddrells a try in mt. pleasant. You can also launch right down the road from there at shem creek. from that point you can hit all the good spots that you would go to from remleys and are closer to the ocean as well. Haddrells is probably the oldest tackle shop in the area and my favorite. Give the old pitt st bridge a shot for the specks!! from there your just a hop away from the Grillage for some monster Reds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
don't bother with the grillage unless you are willing to lose a couple anchors... for offshore stuff like your thinking, we have spadefish at the R8 reef, and the nearshore and Charleston 60 reefs hold big sheepshead if the BSB aren't too thick. for inshore any structure such as docks or bridges is really good for sheephead, and the mouths of feeder creeks at the first of the outgoing are great for trout. i don't think that your boat will be able to make it to any flats but there are plenty of great spots for reds. stop by and see me at The Charleston Angler in Mt. Pleasant and we'll help set you up with some tips and local know-how. my e-mail is [email protected] if you are interested in anything else

1 - 5 of 5 Posts