Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fish played some tricks on us today.:eek: Left Breezy at 7:45 am with Blue Lou,Riptide 1947 and Naptown hooker.Yeah-I wish-Naptown is a senior at the US Naval Academy-great guy but kept calling me "Sir".:rolleyes: We saw Catman as we left the ramp and we both ran ENE towards the C/R marker in a slight chop.We set out the rods and began an East to West troll.Soon we had the first "trick"-a 4' log on the far planer board rod.:pp

That was a funny joke alright.We continued to dodge debri and worked south after a call from Francis.The fish kept up the tricks by striking lures but not hooking up.Carl (Naptown) was beginning to think fishing on April 1st was a bad idea.About 10:00 we came tight to a fish:clapping2: and soon Carl had one to the boat.

We had a few more stick fish as we passed #78-staying in deep (55' or more) water.The snap of a rubberband from the board had Ed (Riptide) pulling on a good fish.

We were now down near the False channel and the water was much cleaner/less debri.Sun tried to poke through but was playing more tricks on us.Saw some Gannets-they never fool me:)) and soon Blue Lou was on a fish that hit a Chart. parachute on the wire line outfit.

Not feeling like "fools" anymore we began a nice steady pick at the fish.Most of the fish were hitting the planer board rods with white doing better then chart.

The bay was calm and the fish really started to bite.I carry 50 clips for my boards and we were running out.:D Some clips were popped by sticks or short strikes but between 20 and 24 fish were boated.:clapping2: We had the bay to ourselves-OneFish (Ron) was about a mile south of us.The gannets were diving into bait and we stayed near the C/P marker.The crew was getting worn out from reeling in fish and they gave me a turn to reel one in.My good luck-it was a fat 40'' that weighed an estimated 30lbs.The camera decided to pull a "trick" and not record the fish.:confused: We got her back quickly-too quick to realize the photo was missed.By now it was pushing 6 pm.Out of food:eek: -we reeled in the lines and ran back at 35 knots on smooth seas.Had to dodge some debri/logs but easy run back.The boards all carried daisy chains or parachutes-some single-some tandems.Fish were hanging near baitballs off the channel edges.Most were over 30''s although one was a shorty at 26''.3 fish were around the 40'' mark and all fought hard.Water temp is 48-49*.Long fun day-so I guess we weren't "fools" after all. Skip

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Skip..Thanks for the report.

Looks like you and the crew of HO's had your hands full. Great Pic's.:bigfish:

Have you busted the magical 41" yet? Were any the fat cows that we are lookin' fer? Do you think they are here yet?

Sorry for the million questions. This will be my 1st trophy season on the Bay..lookin' for info.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Sounds great Skip... making me jealous that I didnt take the opportunity to head out this morning. I was "tricked" by the phantom rain/wind that never came. I'll get on it Tuesday I guess! WTG Skip.

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim-we were real close to 41'' but not quite.Two of the fish were heavyweights but still alot of males.Free up either Thursday/Friday if you want to tag along and see first hand how to troll for spring rock.Hopefully we can even show you how to reel some in. Skip

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Glad that you got into them after all that. As I said on the phone I had a stick that got stuck in my planer board. It made the whole thing unstable. I was just waiting for it to flip! You got some bigger fish than we did today, but, there's definatly enough fish there!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Jim-we were real close to 41'' but not quite.Two of the fish were heavyweights but still alot of males.Free up either Thursday/Friday if you want to tag along and see first hand how to troll for spring rock.Hopefully we can even show you how to reel some in. Skip
Skip, I will bmail you tomorrow. I need to talk to you about the dumpster for WAF (and my family participation in the event, might even be able to rope up a Boy Scout troop to help).

I can't hook up with you this week. I have to help a friend tile his bathroom, his SWMBO is up his tookus 'bout it. Then later in the week (Fri-Sat) I have to do a boat delivery to Long Island NY. I may be out Sunday (Easter), with a friend (30' SeaRay -name- Fantasy Factory), I'll look for your posts and hit you on the radio.

Thanks for the info. I know you will be one of the 1st to see one of the Big 'Uns!

Thank you,
Jim

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Skip - Just Awesome day, even the weather tricked us too it was supposed to be winds 15-20, S-SE .......didn't happen ! The four pictures show it, to be TRUE !
Lou - Good to be in your company again !
Kyle - ( I think I got it right) - Pleasure to meet you today too, The very best to you, and
Thank You for your service to our country ! He's graduating from the Naval Academy soon, and then will continue training at Quantico...."Semper Fi" ( Marine Jet Pilot)

Skip - Maybe today was really Haloween with all of the various tricks' and treats......
we could have not had a better day today........kudos to you for sharing ! I don't believe you even posted, since the day was a long one, and when I left you, the boat was being cleaned, and readied for the next adventure.

Stinkbait - The second, and third picture in this post ( mine, and Lou's) fought so hard, that they lost their bikini's, and since this is a family rated forum, we had to cover the important parts with our hands. :)) :rockon:; :clap:; :clap:;

Today's adventure was so full of tricks of all kinds, it was easy for Skip to forget a few, like the gannet, that was waiting for the "Weight Watcher" Bus, he was so full, that as we approached, he couldn't get his fat A$$ out of the water, and almost resigned himself to being ran over....hahaha! And let us not forget the one who apparently was in the Military,
and was busted to one stripe ( may have been, scarred by a net, but only on one side,:eek:; , from his dorsal to his fat belly), and finally the striper who was looking for sympathy, and was trying to get us to take him to see a Chiropractor' ( his spine was " S " shaped, and was hard to accurately measure, but without straightening him , he measured over 38").
We met all of the "Special fish today".

An Adventurous trip to remember, and many laughs

Ed.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
439 Posts
Thanks for the report Skip! I am gonna try at it next week...this week just aint working out for me.

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sure Lou-I'll make you and Capt. Jim Brinchfield both a set.:D
I run my lines back about 5 times the lenght of first fish-times the number of gannets on the port side-divided by the square root of the price of 1 gallon of gasoline-minus the depth of the water.

It's not hard to do.If I'm in a rush I just refer to my "depth chart" and measure the fish twice.;-)

It stays on the boat :yes: :yes: . Skip

·
Registered
182 Posts
Awesome report and pics! :clapping2:

Hey Naptown, do you have a boat over by Deep Creek Restaurant? Saw a boat over there yesterday on a trailer with the name "Naptown Hooker" on the hull. Nice looking rig, and great name! :D

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Sure Lou-I'll make you and Capt. Jim Brinchfield both a set.:D
I run my lines back about 5 times the lenght of first fish-times the number of gannets on the port side-divided by the square root of the price of 1 gallon of gasoline-minus the depth of the water.

It's not hard to do.If I'm in a rush I just refer to my "depth chart" and measure the fish twice.;-)

It stays on the boat :yes: :yes: . Skip
LMAO!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.