Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw an ad in Sport Fishing for the ArcDehooker - has anyone ever used this for Spring/Summer size rock in the bay? Depending on the size they run from $16 and way up for offshore/loggerhead size. Seems they are the IGFA/RFA/NOAA "endorsed" safe release tool?

Will be almost all C&R in 2007 for me, so looking for the safest/best way to do it. Any thoughts or experiences? www.dehooker4arc.com

Thanks! Andy

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Type of de- hookers

I saw an ad in Sport Fishing for the ArcDehooker - has anyone ever used this for Spring/Summer size rock in the bay? Depending on the size they run from $16 and way up for offshore/loggerhead size. Seems they are the IGFA/RFA/NOAA "endorsed" safe release tool?

Will be almost all C&R in 2007 for me, so looking for the safest/best way to do it. Any thoughts or experiences? www.dehooker4arc.com

Thanks! Andy
---Commercial made de-hookers I find are Clumbersome & hard to use if in a hurry to make a release --Most are made of Lighter weight material than I like to use----

--My Favorite De-Hooker through the years , Is a Simple Device & the cost factor is NONE
--Hit the Dumpsters , or use your own Paint Roller , that you used to paint the bottom, take it to a vise & straighten out the metal --Saw off at your favorite length , & create a hook in the end --Clean it up well & coat it with Clear Lacquer---You may want to buy a roller , with this in mind , of the type that has a plastic gripping handle ---I have several on the boat as some will be deep sixed by mistake --Try one , it's a joy to use ---Geo.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Capt George nailed it. I use any old stainless steel bar (1/8 though 3/16) I find that is about 15 "to 20" long. For the handle, use a dowl rod about the same size as a mop handle. In the middle of the handle I drill a slightly smaller hole then the size of the wire. Bend a 'U' on one end of the wire, heat the other end, and feed it through the handle, bend a 'L' in that end and pull it back tight to the handle, finish with electric tape. It's not going to win any beauty contest but it is very effective and only cost a few pennies to make.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
That endorsement and $2 will get you a cup of coffee most any place. I bought one and almost immediately stopped using it. Like Capt. George and chp Chop said, make your own.
Personally, I take the handle from an old paint bucket and cut it in half. Then I straighten it out and put an "S" hook in the end. The "S" hook will allow you to push a deep hook out which the "U" configuration will not. I then take an old broomstick and drill a hole in the end, coat the wire tip with epoxy or gorilla glue and insert it in the hole. I will also drill a hole cross ways through the opposite end of the handle to accomodate a cord to hang it from my belt so that I always know where it is. Total time it takes is bout 10 minutes.

Have also made them out of 1/2 " PVC tubing with end caps glued in place. If you use PVC, then you need to put a right angle bend in the wire after you have put it through the cap and then a glob of epoxy to keep it from rotating.

No more striper thumb for me and it takes less time and effort to remove the fish from a hook, particularly if you fish with the barb pinched down like I do. Makes taking white perch off from a hook a breeze when you are bailing them.

Will try to post some photos of my results later on.

Tight lines,

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa whao whoa. Hold on there.

These dehookers are about the hardest things to understand how to use. I used one almost every day for several months mating on a charter boat and could not get the hang of it very well. It took several seconds and shakes and some weird looks from clients before I got the fish off. It is NOT easy to get the hang of these dehookers.

The captain of the charter boat whom I worked for had used these things for several years. We gut hooked alot of fish livelining and chumming and I can honestly say he got the fish of the hook quicker with these things than you would imagine possible with almost no damage to the fish. It's about inserting it at the correct angle and shaking it right. When you have someone who knows what they are doing, this thing is amazing.

If you don't have someone to show you how to use it just right it will probably take a year to get used to it. If you watch someone who knows what they are doing, it will probably take you a few months. But when you do understand how to use it, you will amaze your friends and look like the coolest kid on the block.

These things are amazing but it takes alot of getting used to.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
I've not used a "de-hooker" cuz like Francis sez...I aint smart enuff to figure it out. But the tool that works on my boat is on of those "packaged" de-hookers that work like pliers. All ya gotta do is put the shank in the end and sqeeeeze....hook comes right out 95% of the time like MAJIC!! :D They cost @ 20 bucks....work real well for chumming.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have that type of Dehooker and it works very well... but as others have said it takes a bit of practice... Is really great for deep-hooked fish. I have used it for rock, but found it most for sharks as you dont have to get anywhere near those teeth...

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I've got the basics down of using a dehooker, but is there a book that shows how its done. I don't think we use our dehookers capabilities to the max.:D
Do you think rebar is too thick to make one?:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
I've tried most of them on the market and still go back to either fingers or long needle nose pliers.On big rock you can CAREFULLY come in under the gills to remove a deep stinger hook.If you really want to have fun -try using the big size dehooker on a small mako shark.Amazing how far the dehooker will fly before splashing down:D Skip

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
De Hooher & Gut de-hooker

I have that type of Dehooker and it works very well... but as others have said it takes a bit of practice... Is really great for deep-hooked fish. I have used it for rock, but found it most for sharks as you dont have to get anywhere near those teeth...
----My post on homemade de-hooker is for LIP HOOKED fish --

--As to Gut hooked fish , thats a diffrent matter , Also a SAD matter , that has to be addressed , by each individual angler, What works for me, may not work for you ---As speed of return to the water is Paramount, Your proven method should continue --I still have a gut releaseing tool given to me at a Md. DNR seminar, that works in some instanses , but each fish is a individual challenge & methods will varey---geo.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I started using one last spring fishing for seabass. Almost 100% of those fish are hooked toward the corner of the upper jaw anyway so using the hook is actually pretty easy. The trick to it is to keep the line tight with the other hand. Most of the time it's just a flip of the wrist over the cooler and you're back in the water before the drift ends. It's also the perfect dehooker for those big flounder. Same deal.

Francis wrote......"Whoa whoa whoa whao whoa. Hold on there.
These dehookers are about the hardest things to understand how to use. I used one almost every day for several months mating on a charter boat and could not get the hang of it very well. It took several seconds and shakes and some weird looks from clients before I got the fish off. It is NOT easy to get the hang of these dehookers."

Come on Francis, it took me about 3 fish to get the knack.;) Of course I didn't have to deal with any deep or gut hooked fish. As a matter of fact, I don't ever recall gut hooking a seabass, tog or flounder in deepwater.

This type of dehooker looks like a good candidate for one of our rigging parties.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Francis: That is the easiest part of the anatomy to remove a hook.:D :D
Secondly, the treble hooks should be replaced with a single hook with the barb pinched down for your own safety. If a fish is gut hooked and you want to release it, then just cut the leader off.
Tight lines,

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Most mates will make you remove the trebles, too dangerous when removing a hook and one heck of a mess when untangling crossed lines.

·
Registered
466 Posts
That ARC dehooker is a different animal than the normal dehooker. It is designed specifially for gut hooked fish. I have used one for the last 1 1\2 years and have been amazed at how well they work. It does take some practice and I haven't had much luck with circle hooks. They have a web page that explains the deal. You need to stuff em with foam cuz they are all steel an float just like steel. Granpa

1 - 17 of 17 Posts