Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished with Shawn Kimbro and Jumbo1 this past weekend at CBBT. We all wore our Arctic Armor and got caught in some pretty wet conditions. I can tell you one thing when we got back that evening after being out in the rain and a few waves that came over the top we were all soaked all the way thru to our skivies.:help: I can tell you one thing I'll never leave home without my Grunden's again. Here is what Arctic Armor tells us about there suit. Don't believe everything you read.:nono:

Arctic Armor
Innovative Designs, Inc. offers the Arctic Armor™ Suit which will revolutionize hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities. Each Arctic Armor™ suit utilizes 3 layers of our exclusive thermal insulator INSULTEX™. One layer of INSULTEX™ protects a person to sub-zero temperatures. Multiple layers of INSULTEX™ can provide practically unlimited levels of insulation. INSULTEX™ is also windproof, waterproof and buoyant. Innovative Designs has perfected this design under the strictest guidelines to ensure buoyancy. The Arctic Armor™ suit, with INSULTEX™, consists of micro-air molecules trapped inside the fabric to enhance buoyancy. Keep warm and keep safe with the Arctic Armor™ suit from Innovative Designs.

WATERPROOF
BREATHABLE
WINDPROOF
SUB-ZERO PROTECTION
LIGHTWEIGHT, NO BULK
BUOYANT

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
Waterproof and breathable - Hmmmmmm. Take that with a grain of salt.

I'll take my old school bibs and slicker over all that hi tech stuff any day.

Got to love a CC on a rough winter day - Brrrrrrr.

Big question - did you get any fish ?

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
\
Big question - did you get any fish ?
Nothing to speak of. Yeah, it was a little wet and rainy. Mine soaked through as well. I think I treated mine with 3M spray about a month ago. My bibs did okay but the jacket was wet inside and out. I still say you can't beat them for cold weather, but I think I'll wear something more rain and spray proof next time.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Shawn/Hank...I just sprayed mine again...I have never gotten that wet on any trip period!.....Mine are only 2 years old and buttons/snaps are rusting...If you want to stay warm they are fine...just maybe not for fishing?....Pax I have the guidewear...mine is about wore out...may be time for a new set...

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Man that sucks guys. When everyone was buying Artic a few years ago, I thought about it, but since I aready had some pricey Cabelas Guidewear, I didn't make the move. After reading this I'm glad I didn't because I've never gotten wet while wearing it. As for warmth I like to layer anyway so I just add layers. I still like the floating aspect because the guidewear will take me right to the bottom :eek2: so I guess a lifevest is in order.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jamie and Jack I agree my Guidewear never got me wet like the Arctic Armor. Its the first time that I wore them in wet conditions. I loved them when t was dry and cold. I'm talking soaked thru multiple layers two sweat's two tee's. Pockets full of water. How could they claim that it's waterproof is beyond me. But now I know. From now on it will be Grunden's on top of my Guidewear period. If its good enough for the Deadliest Catch then there good enough for me. Paxfish they look like there working pretty hard to me. Watch the video Kodiak Triumph.
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/deadliest-catch-season6-episode16/

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yup, it's definitely not waterproof. Disappointing that a product sold to keep you afloat in water is not in fact waterproof. I guess the joke is on me for assuming it would be. I'm sure glad I left mine in the truck on Sat. The only real positive I have to say for AA is that it's very warm when not wet.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
No the joke is on all of us for "reading" and believing that it was...A suit that is used for fishing should be able to handle some water....Like Hank said...guidewear or layered under armour underneath and grundens on top...

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
I bought mine a few years ago and when Phill and I got caught in some nasty weather boy did I get wet. The one thing I have noticed is that the snaps are rusted on mine. I called Arctic Armor and I was told this was the first they heard of it but they are. Like other said you can’t beat them for warmth but they sure are NOT waterproof. I did spray mine with some Silicone Water-Guard that I got from good all Wal-Mart and it seems to work OK but I spray the hell out it.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Seen the stuff on fishing buddies. Stupid but big question, anyone test the bouyancy yet? I remember seeing adds with a guy floating in a pool. Give me some 8' at 8-13 seconds and prove it will float and maybe I'll think about it. Nothin beats a good old school pair of slickers and a life vest. At least you goons got out and got after some fish.

-Evans

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Are you telling me guys actually fish this time of year in an open boat? I cannot believe it. They must be Navy Seals.<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 19.5pt; HEIGHT: 18pt; VISIBILITY: visible; mso-wrap-style: square" id=Picture_x0020_11 alt="0" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:title="0" src="file:///C:\Users\Bill\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Actually I got just a little wet in the seat in my AA down there this trip, but it definitely is not waterproof in harsh conditions. I have not tested mine as to floating me, but there was an ice fishing convention this week. A number of guys gave real live testimonials on how it floated them when they fell through and how it saved their lives. AA was selling like hot cakes.<o:p></o:p>
AA is the lightest, most comfortable and warmest winter gear I have ever owned. As for Cabelas guidewear it leaks too after while. I had three sets of their best and it definitely will get you wet if you wear it in harsh conditions long enough.<o:p></o:p>
I will need to spray my AA. I was also thinking of wearing my light weight summer rain gear under it, but that would be a pain.<o:p></o:p>
As for the fishing at the CBBT Thurs, Fri and Sat, it was poor. Will it get better, lets hope so? If the cold conditions continue, chances are not too good.<o:p></o:p>

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
It wont keep you dry but at least it will keep your lifeless dead body afloat so It can be found later .

All For 340.00? what a steal ! Thanks or the info.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Thanks for the info Hank. Haven't had a chance to get my AA suit real wet but better to read this then find out the hard way. Wonder if you boys woulda got wet riding in a parker pilothouse?:rolleyes: Bet your looking forward to heading South again!

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Sorry to hear about the wet experience Hank, never good to be cold and wet. I am sure Arctic Armour will exchange your jacket for another, at least I would hope so.

I just so happen to have a little experience with apparel from designing some hard shells we have coming down the pike for
Lateral Line. I've had extensive experience researching everything from waterproof breathable materials like Gortex to materials made waterproof by coatings on the outside. I can not speak of what Arctic Armour uses, but it sounds like it is a finish on top of the fabric. This is, in my opinion, the best option if you are going to go with a fabric based jacket.

The trouble is not all coatings or the process to apply them is the same. I've tested a lot of gear over the years, the best stuff I have used that has lasted the longest to date is Patagonia, bar none. Until we make something better at Lateral Line it is the only stuff I wear. They take great strides to make sure their waterproof coating is not only the best stuff but applied in the correct manner. Some will say their stuff is expensive, it is, but it lasts and I am never wet, for that I'm willing to pay whatever.

My friend Barrett and I tested several manufacturers gear last year while spending several weeks chasing silver salmon in south east Alaska. It poured all day every day while we fished, and I mean poured. The only jacket that proved itself was the Patagonia jacket. I wear their ski pants for waterproof pants, they've never let me down.

There are challenges with the many options for waterproof clothing:

PVC Based Clothing

PVC based products will keep you dry with out a doubt, the problem is that they do not breathe. Even if you wear layers to wick the moisture away from your skin it can not escape the interior PVC barrier. Once this happens you will begin to feel wet, not because you are getting wet from the outside but because the moisture can not escape. When this happens the water chills making you feel cold and wet. Not a good situation.

Gortex based products

Gortex resides on the inside barrier of your jacket. It is almost impossible for it to leak unless it has a puncture in the gortex fabric. I worked directly with Gortex to learn about their material. The challenge with Gortex is that the material on the outside of the jacket gets wet because the gortex waterproof barrier resides under it. This is why with many gortex jackets you will see mesh liner inside. Many think this is to help wick moisture, it does assist in it, but the main reason they used to use this liner was to keep the inside gortex material from getting scraped or punctured. Back to what happens when the material gets wet, you do not get wet because the gortex barrier is protecting you, however when it gets cold the water on the outside material gets as cold as the air temperature, effectively chilling you down, if its below freezing you are basically wearing an icicle. Not comfortable at all, been there done that.

Gotex does breathe, but like all "breathable" waterproofing it works with humidity levels. As long as the humidity level on the outside of your jacket is lower then on the inside it will "breathe" and air can get out. If the humidity level is higher on the outside then it does not "breathe" air out, but it keeps all water molecules from getting inside.

Materials Coated with Waterproofing

This is great because it does not allow the outside fabric to get wet, thus it stays dry and will not chill you. It also can allow the material to breathe which allows moisture to escape. The downside is that after some period of time the coating will wear off and have to be replaced. Once it has to be replaced it's likely you will need a new jacket or pants sooner then later. The reason is that that coating you put on it is not as good of a process, for the higher end jackets we are talking about there like Patagonia, and will probably will only last you another few soakings. My last Patagonia Jacket lasted five years of heavy fishing. I consider that pretty good for a few hundred dollars and never getting wet.

Clearly the Arctic Armour also offers another level of protection in its flotation characteristic. To address that I wear a suspender PDF under my jacket. Certain ones will work when worn under your jacket.

Everyone has to make the choice of an outer layer based on what trade offs he/she is willing to make.
:yinyang:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.