Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using Arctic Armor for fishing this winter? It is not CG approved but does keep you floating and warm. It is light and would eliminate the need to actually wear a PFD. You could carry CG approved PFD's on your boat to satisfy the CG. It is a new product and the CG may approve it in time.

Arctic Armor Ice Fishing Suit Video: Watch it float!

BTW, Brandon told me the fine print on the literature that came with my Mustang auto inflatable PFD says it may not work below 40 degrees. That would be a shock if you needed it in winter and it did not inflate.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
John Keeler introduced me to Arctic Armor and I'm really in his debt. Amazing stuff. The coat is lighter than any winter coat I ever owned, but lots warmer, wind, and waterproof. I can put my suit on with nothing but t-shirt and jeans underneath and stay warm all day in below freezing temps. I don't know why the guy who invented it isn't a millionaire. It really opened up winter fishing for me. I don't even look at temps anymore - if it's not too windy, I go.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I just got the jacket this year after freezing my badonkadonk off at the CBBT last year without one while a fellow TFer had one. As stated above, incredibly lightweight and very warm. I'm going to pick up the bibs later this winter.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I bought a set and used the whole suit for the first time last Sunday. It was around 25F when I left the ramp.. Fish out of a CC with no enclosure and I was warm and dry the whole time and took some spray in the morning. Didn't even layer up like I normally do. Haven't tested how well it floats though. (Not that I really want to). Was very pleased with it.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Worth its weight in gold.

Shawn, thanks for the kind words. This will be my third winter of comfort with my Arctic Armor. I bought mine at www.fish307.com. At the present time Jeff is offering FREE SHIPPING.

I also wear my Arctic Armor when I go ice fishing with my son on Lake George in January.
I am comfortable when the temp is -15 deg and we are four wheeling across the ice at 30 mph. As Shawn said, it is light, comfortable, windproof and not bulky offering FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT. Nothing compares with it for flotation.:thumbup:

Will be depending on mine next Monday and Tuesday at the CBBT.

Bill:They are a good match for your Muck Boots.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looked good. I am glad the guys who have used it like it. As Jack said, looks like something else to buy.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Wish I could afford it!:wacko:Does anyone have Santa Clauss' address?Maybe if I send Him a Wish List,I might get it! [Mike]
I got his address but he is waiting for his goverment bail out check :helpsmilie: and all the request mail is being forwarded to China

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Late response on this...

I wear it and love it. It will keep you plenty warm, and there's lots of good press on it in terms of keeping you alive. I was told by a seller that the company avoided getting it approved as floatation to keep the price down. The only complaint that I have is that the snaps on my suit keep breaking. Not a show stopper, but sort of annoying. Other than that, this stuff is amazing at keeping you warm and dry.

BTW... I tested it in the shower... a really really cold shower. I went in with the suit on, flipped the hood back and let the cold water run down my back and neck. This was a painful experience to say the least. Within seconds the suit warmed the water up that was around my body and I was totally comfortable. The key is keeping fresh cold water from cycling in. If you go into the drink while wearing this suit, you'll stay warm as long as you don't have warm water flowing out and cold water flowing in. This makes the hood, gathering straps, and zippers on this suit super important.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Late response on this...

I wear it and love it. It will keep you plenty warm, and there's lots of good press on it in terms of keeping you alive. I was told by a seller that the company avoided getting it approved as floatation to keep the price down. The only complaint that I have is that the snaps on my suit keep breaking. Not a show stopper, but sort of annoying. Other than that, this stuff is amazing at keeping you warm and dry.

BTW... I tested it in the shower... a really really cold shower. I went in with the suit on, flipped the hood back and let the cold water run down my back and neck. This was a painful experience to say the least. Within seconds the suit warmed the water up that was around my body and I was totally comfortable. The key is keeping fresh cold water from cycling in. If you go into the drink while wearing this suit, you'll stay warm as long as you don't have warm water flowing out and cold water flowing in. This makes the hood, gathering straps, and zippers on this suit super important.
So what do ya do Norman? Keep sending it back to have the snaps fixed?

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a good question Gerald. I have not ordered my Arctic Armor yet but with the gloves, coat and bibs plus shipping it will be around $350. You would think they would use good quality snaps in that price range.

The snaps on my Cabelas Gore-tex Thinsulate coat are brass and they turn green with saltwater use but still function fine. A friend of mine sent his back but in one trip the new ones were green too.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Water wasn't much warmer in the Summer...

Shawn, thanks for the kind words. This will be my third winter of comfort with my Arctic Armor. I bought mine at www.fish307.com. At the present time Jeff is offering FREE SHIPPING.

I also wear my Arctic Armor when I go ice fishing with my son on Lake George in January.
I am comfortable when the temp is -15 deg and we are four wheeling across the ice at 30 mph. As Shawn said, it is light, comfortable, windproof and not bulky offering FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT. Nothing compares with it for flotation.:thumbup:

Will be depending on mine next Monday and Tuesday at the CBBT.

Bill:They are a good match for your Muck Boots.
Lake George... man. First time I ice fished there was in the late 50's. Stayed at "Chief Uncas Motel"... wow, haven't thought of that in a while... thanks!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I should... but no... I'm just living with it and eventually going to have to get around to fixing them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts