Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There used to be a large group of fly anglers who were out there casting flies in and around the Chesapeake.

Some people moved, fly fishing got less popular and things changed.

Anyone still out there chasing fish with the fly?

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Well I still could see myself in the mirror, and I woke up this morning and didn't see my name in the obits. And I'm still fly fishing, I think I can still say that's what I'm doing. So yea, I guess the answer is yes. Now how are you doing Brandon? The last time I saw any thing you posted, you were running from a bear on some fishing trip.:eek2:.:hysterical:

·
Registered
698 Posts
There used to be a large group of fly anglers who were out there casting flies in and around the Chesapeake.

Some people moved, fly fishing got less popular and things changed.

Anyone still out there chasing fish with the fly?
I've been gone from this site for a good while, and just getting back. I used to live in Arnold, fly fish all around the Chesapeake & tribs, primarily in Dorchester Co, and got up to the Susquehanna some. I moved away from MD back in 2015, down to SC and now live right next to the Santee Cooper lakes. I miss attending the Flyfest events, and some of the fishing areas that I frequented, but a new chapter in my life now. I still chase LM Bass and Stripers on the fly gear, and on other gear, and keep saying I need to get to the coast for some saltwater fishing, but haven't done it yet. I started a tackle business and always something to be doing, and I retired last year, so have time to fish a bit more than I used to do. Because of my business, I've become active on the Facebook and Instagram sites, and that may be where many of the older fly flingers from here may be spending their non-fishing time now. There are a few who I now follow that spent time here over the years. I still prefer this type of forum over those social media sites, but not everyone does these days. I don't think fly fishing is any less popular, but the fishing world changes, less people going to areas to fly fish as they become more popular with other folks for their fishing, so folks look for new waters, at least new to them. I've read some comments over the last few years about places that I used to fish frequently, how a lot more folks go there now, leave their trash, and may not be following the regs and that's certainly may have driven some of the fly anglers away. It's a shame, but the way of the world now it seems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been gone from this site for a good while, and just getting back. I used to live in Arnold, fly fish all around the Chesapeake & tribs, primarily in Dorchester Co, and got up to the Susquehanna some. I moved away from MD back in 2015, down to SC and now live right next to the Santee Cooper lakes. I miss attending the Flyfest events, and some of the fishing areas that I frequented, but a new chapter in my life now. I still chase LM Bass and Stripers on the fly gear, and on other gear, and keep saying I need to get to the coast for some saltwater fishing, but haven't done it yet. I started a tackle business and always something to be doing, and I retired last year, so have time to fish a bit more than I used to do. Because of my business, I've become active on the Facebook and Instagram sites, and that may be where many of the older fly flingers from here may be spending their non-fishing time now. There are a few who I now follow that spent time here over the years. I still prefer this type of forum over those social media sites, but not everyone does these days. I don't think fly fishing is any less popular, but the fishing world changes, less people going to areas to fly fish as they become more popular with other folks for their fishing, so folks look for new waters, at least new to them. I've read some comments over the last few years about places that I used to fish frequently, how a lot more folks go there now, leave their trash, and may not be following the regs and that's certainly may have driven some of the fly anglers away. It's a shame, but the way of the world now it seems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I fish out of the South River and predominately flyfish the mid-bay region. The late summer/fall shallow water bite was good in the South last year. A fair number of puppy drum in the mix with the stripers and perch. Would be great if they came back this year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts