Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the summer, I was skunked in an effort to find the than elusive puppy drum. After reading through the threads and asking a few questions on the board I was successful. So, my next species of fish that have been illuding my hook has been the striper. Many people seem to be having much success.

I fish the elizabeth river, I can see the west norfolk bridge from my house. I have tried fishing the light line with cut mullet numerous times with no success. I have searched the threads and feel like i kinda know what to do. Has anyone been successful in that area? Any suggestions? I have heard of success with vertical jigging..not sure how, what that is... How about the preferable tide? Preferable lures, even though never have been success catching anything on one? Any luck during the day? Soo many questions, any answers or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Mad dogs and hot lips has a few that arent that hard to catch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, unless you have an unlimited supply of penicillin you might try light jig heads and bass assasins or BKDs ( same type lure) and also with hard jigs like hopkins and such.. I just cast to the pilings and let them drop out and then jig them back to the boat with pretty good luck around the West Norfolk bridge. Only use the weight you need to get down in the current...

Change up your retrieve rates till you get hit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, go through the bridge and jig the dock at the Marina above the bridge ( Nautical Boats) , that thing holds some sweet fish !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Man, I think we've talked before about fishing the Eliz, I fish it probably 3-4 times a week after work and on the weekends all from the banks. Like everyone says, structure, put some bait around it, youll catch something. Sunday I got home from my hunt club, netted a few bunker and caught a nice pup and a couple short specs. The week before that I netted 2 spot and caught 2 legal bass in less than an hour. Like I said Im fishing out of downtown norfolk without a boat! You can find em, just look.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Eastern Branch

I have had luck catching legal size striper up to 28":bigfish: trolling strech 9's between the Campostella and downtown bridges. I fish out of a 15' Alumacraft with NO electronics (fishfinder). The fish are there now. I have also had luck casting to various structures that is out there, and there are many. If the first structure doesn't produce after a few casts, move to the next until you find your fish. good luck, see you on the river, but you won't catch me wasting money at Hot Lips or JB's:nono:, but if you choose, have a good time.:clap:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i appreciate all the responses. Hahaha I dont have unlimited one dollar bills or peniccilin so I stay away from those places as well. It seems like they are out there I just havent found them yet. Next time, Im going to just giveeach spot a few casts like price advised< that way i wont miss the good tide wasting time. Wish me luck the first one I catch is gettin posted right on this thread!

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
During the summer, I was skunked in an effort to find the than elusive puppy drum. After reading through the threads and asking a few questions on the board I was successful. So, my next species of fish that have been illuding my hook has been the striper. Many people seem to be having much success.

I fish the elizabeth river, I can see the west norfolk bridge from my house. I have tried fishing the light line with cut mullet numerous times with no success. I have searched the threads and feel like i kinda know what to do. Has anyone been successful in that area? Any suggestions? I have heard of success with vertical jigging..not sure how, what that is... How about the preferable tide? Preferable lures, even though never have been success catching anything on one? Any luck during the day? Soo many questions, any answers or advice would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
City Park is like 5 minutes from my house so we launch the little boat and fish the churchland and W. Norfolk bridge alot. We have caught some real nice fish there in December and some keeper schoolies this time of year. There are also speckled trout and puppy drum around those bridges i know cause we caught some last week and the week before. Good luck Brandon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts