Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've got a question. I see alot of posts from MD waters catching; from the deltaville area, and rappahannock river, but I never see posts from the York river ( Gloucester area ) or say the James river ( Williamsburg or Newport news ) for rockfish, blues or flounder. I'm sure they are there. Do anglers on this site just not fish those areas? Or is it just that much better in the middle to northern parts of the bay? just trying to figure what's gonna give me the best chances to fish within a resonable distance from home ( Glen Allen ) :popcorn:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Most reports from the York & James will be on the Va. Angler board.

The number of reports will certainly go up when it gets warmer and as the numbers of croaker, flounder, & the other popular species increase.

I'm also in the Richmond area and divide my time between several locations basically depending on the marine conditions. I'm not going out in the lower bay & ocean when it's too rough to enjoy fishing. Just a personal preference.

So, depending on wind and waves and I generally work my way in reverse from:

-ocean between CBBT & the Chesapeake Light Tower (put in at Wallace's)
-lower bay between the CBBT & Back River Reef areas (Wallace's)
-lower James River (Newport News city park @ the JRB)
-York River (West Point)
-lower Rappahannock River (various ramps)
-James River below Richmond (Osborne Landing)

... so basically, I've got a spot for every wind/wave condition. I prefer the "big" water but have lots of options when it's too rough for us. Granted, that comfort threshold is different for everybody.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
136 Posts
The state park is a nicer launching facility but you can put in at either location and its just a short ride on the water to the other. I usually put in at the YRSP and fish my way around to the bridges at west point .The power lines up river from the bridge are good croaker hot spots when things turn on but remember it's considered brackish but everything up river of the bridges requires a fresh water lic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts