1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yes thought provoking with a good premise. Not exactly scientific in it's approach though,

"As things stand now, at least half of all stripers killed by recreational anglers die after they go back in the water. That's an appalling statistic."

what statistic? taken from what study? I tend to agree with most of the points made, but when you pull parts of your article out of thin air, it allows your detractors to pick the whole thing apart.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
Yes thought provoking with a good premise. Not exactly scientific in it's approach though,

"As things stand now, at least half of all stripers killed by recreational anglers die after they go back in the water. That's an appalling statistic."

what statistic? taken from what study? I tend to agree with most of the points made, but when you pull parts of your article out of thin air, it allows your detractors to pick the whole thing apart.
I'm still working on the rec and comm distinction in Mass...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
yea that's bizarre. we're down to 30,000 fish, maybe one a day over 40 inches or something otherwise draxonian...but up in Mass. you can keep all you want, AND THEN SELL THEM! Wow.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I agree with some of the things in the article, but almost everything was grossly exaggerated for shock value. I like the way everyone that was interviewed claimed the striper populations was in bad shape. not one person said the fisherie was in great shape, eventhough most people think it is. just another biased article

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Easy to Get

From the sounds of this article a "commercial" license must be as easy to come by as used toilet paper in Mass. Sounds like everybody on board a boat with a "commercial" license has their own individual "limit".

·
Registered
12,808 Posts
The article is slanted to the author`s point of view,but he does have some valid points.Here is something I have always found puzzling to me,why would anyone want to kill a female rock loaded with roe.I guess the "I didn`t know the gun was loaded theory" can be used or "if I don`t the other guy will",might apply,or I can`t tell the boys from the girls.:confused:

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
There is something in that article for everyone. It has made the rounds of fishing message boards in the past 30 days. TF is a little late on this one, but better late than never.

I have two comments. First, I fished next to the commercial fishermen at Cape Cod for a week in July. They mostly have rec fishing boats, use 130 pound test and electric reels. It is sort of sickening to see 30 pound bass winched to the boat. The fishing method is a little different. They use a very heavy bucktail streaming back in the strong current on the edge of a shoal. The heavy trolling rod is placed in a forward rod holder. The boat is held in the current with the motor. The fisherman grabs the heavy line with a gloved hand and jerks it until a fish is on. They are out there jerking the line for hours until they get their limit. Once the fish is on they pick up the rod and engage the electric reel. It is all over for the fish at this point.

Secondly, I try to fish some of the hot spots up and down the coast as the fish migrate. Even though the fishing is very good, as evidenced by the Rick Caton pic and the reports from TF board members, each year the number and size of striper schools are declining. It is hard to get anyone to take this seriously because the fishing is still good. Not many years ago we could find schools of big fish that stretched for over a mile in winter. Every fish in that school was over 15 pounds and most much bigger. Now the big fish seem to be mixed in with smaller fish and the schools are smaller. The fishing is still so good that not many guys realize what is happening. If a guide or captain who is out there almost every day is candid about it, he will tell you the same thing.

The same thing is true in the Susky Flats. On a good year you can go there and catch some nice fish, but years ago there were whole schools of 30 to 50 pound fish in the spring. I do not see that any more.

I am not preaching doom and gloom but just relating my observations.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good article and goes alog with my other post earlier today on a different thread.

The author appears well informed and he makes sense.
Paul M.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
The 2005 Totals from the ASMFC Report. Whether you agree or disagree with these figures, these are what we are governed by in our Striped bass quotas.

Rec Harvest……2.31 million fish. Discards….1.52 million. Total harvest 3.84 million (1.52 million...That number figures out to be 40%)

The ASMFC also reports that the rec harvest of 8+ year old fish is below the maximum target by a considerable amount.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
The 2005 Totals from the ASMFC Report. Whether you agree or disagree with these figures, these are what we are governed by in our Striped bass quotas.

Rec Harvest……2.31 million fish. Discards….1.52 million. Total harvest 3.84 million (1.52 million...That number figures out to be 40%)

The ASMFC also reports that the rec harvest of 8+ year old fish is below the maximum target by a considerable amount.
Ok, help me out here...This seems to me to all be pointing in the same direction...The big boys are getting slaughtered somewhere? Reds, come on, I know you have thoughts on this...

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Not all big fish are females. I have read many times that males rarely exceed 40 pounds. That is most likely true but my biggest striper ever was 54 pounds caught in the Susky Flats. He was a male steaming milt. I think the large males are important too. They can carry a huge quantity of milt and fertilize many millions of eggs. Plus the fact that they reached such a large size may mean they are genetically superior.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
The big boys are getting slaughtered somewhere?
All sizes being caught are within their max target. At least that's what the 2006 ASMFC reports say.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Has anyone done a study on the ratio between the actual meat you can eat and the size of the fish. To me it seems that the ratio of filet between a 50 lb fish and a smaller fish is significantly different. You just don't get more meat with a bigger fish. Most of the big guys goes in the trash can. I caught a 15" trout yesterday and the filet wasn't much larger than the 12" fish. Look nice on the stringer... Let them go.....keep smaller ones.
Years ago I caught hundreds of Blues and put them in a cooler for friends who never asked for them....not today...it was a mistake. I take only what i can eat....and that's not really much.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts