Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have mixed emotions about this...

On one hand it will be good for people new to the boating world.

On the other hand I've been operating a boat since 16 and 30+ years later now required to take a course to get an operating permit:nono:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I also have been operating a Boat since 1963, My first boat. I took the CG Auxiliary Boating Course in the mid 90's at Granby High.At my age now I don't expect to be taking another soon.:clap:
BTW,
I'm all for it as each year new boat owners/ operators are on the water that could certainly use this excellent course.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have mixed emotions about this...

On the other hand I've been operating a boat since 16 and 30+ years later now required to take a course to get an operating permit:nono:
We had our NNAC seminar in Reedville this past Saturday. One of our speakers was from the Aux. Coast Guard. He explained this new law. First they are targeting the new PWC (Personal Water Craft) owners. To make this a short story you being a boater for 30 years will probably never have to take the test. The law is graduated over a period of many years.
Bubba

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
We had our NNAC seminar in Reedville this past Saturday. One of our speakers was from the Aux. Coast Guard. He explained this new law. First they are targeting the new PWC (Personal Water Craft) owners. To make this a short story you being a boater for 30 years will probably never have to take the test. The law is graduated over a period of many years.
Bubba
So what your saying the guys going to croak before he has to take it? LOL

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is good news!

I took the CG Aux course BEFORE I purchased my first boat almost 20 years ago. I think EVERYONE should have to have taken or should have to take a couse. I have seen many clueless boaters out there...while I understand that there are many safe boaters that have been boating for decades...doing something wrong for 20-30 years doesn't make it right.

BRAVO to the lawmakers for doing something in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I don't know what the big deal about it is. You have to get licensed to drive a car don't you? Go through the class and share your knowledge with those that need it.

Though I was already on my 2nd boat and had been boating for years my wife and I both sat through the class provided by the Coast Guard Aux. several years ago. can't say I knew every term and buoy type beforehand, can't say I remember all of them now - but the class helped our safety awareness - how to avoid the waterborne idiot. The insurance company liked it too and saved us a few bucks.

Lou

·
Registered
574 Posts
Boating course

I took the Power Squadrons course when I got my first boat (well, at least the first one other than a canoe and a jonboat) in 1988, at the ripe old age of 32. By then, I'd been boating on the sounds and the Bay and in the ocean with friends for over half my life. Being young(er) and stupid(er) than I am now, I took the course so I could save the insurance bucks. Shoot, I already knew all that stuff, or so I thought.........

Well, about 1/3 of the way in, I was already saying (to myself) "Man, I didn't know that" all the time in class. By the end of the course, I was saying (to myself) "Man, I'm lucky to be alive".

So, I'm a believer in the value of the USCG-Aux and Power Squadron courses. Everybody can learn something. Especially those knucklehead PWC "operators". Those dang things are 60+ mph 1,200 lb missles nowadays. I don't want any more doughheads out there buzzing the beach or slaloming along jumping my wake right behind me if a mandatory course would at least show a few of them the stupidity of their ways.

Foy

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Frist off it does not phase in for several years. (Like 10 if you are an old fart). The earliest is like two years away.

Currently you can get qualified for a jet ski by simply taking an on line test and not paying any fee. I did the boat's US one. They keep a running score. If you are goofing up you can quit and start again.

Here is the link.

BoatUS Foundation: Online Boating Course

You have to use internet Explorer in order to make it give you a certificate.

All that being said. They have not worked out the details on the implementation of the law.

Tom

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
The confusion about the law is absolutely ridiculous. I got a call today from my father who has been boating on the bay for nearly 70 years, concerned that he has to somehow get a license. I assured him that he was safe for the time being and that seemed to calm him down a little.

I'm glad that some of you are happy. Personally, I don't like it and I doubt that there is anything that anyone can say to change my mind. I'm curious if my teenage son will lose his boating privileges that he worked so hard to get, but I will wait to see how they actually go about implementing this foolhardy legislation.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
750 Posts
i guess the "license"-test/get a certificate fee money will probably go into the general fund as well ? I'm not against a safe boating course at all, I support it. But charging a fee to take a test to print out a certificate is "crappola" as far as Im concerned. Let em take it online- print out a certificate, why even have a passing grade? At least the person would have to log on and read through the imformation before clicking on the print my certificate at the end- like the boat-us one. water under the bridge now I guess- Taxman- George Paul Ringo and John. :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm happy

If you say that you have been around boats and water for some years.......then you shouldn't have a problem taking the test. I have been around water for some time, and if this is what it takes to get some d****ss off of the water, then great! Any SOB can buy a boat, and go on a booze cruise on the water, but you need a license to drive a vehicle.......how about a boat certification? This can only be a good thing.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
As a licensed Merchant Marine Officer, I have always been in favor of operator licensing.

But I understand the perspective of those who are opposed to even this lesser requirement of an exam, or certificate.

I just went to the BoatUS link and took the test. No course, no review. I didn't ace it, but I passed by a big margin. I missed a few questions related to PWC operation, and disagree with the answer to one question about trailer towing ratings...

But the bottom line is that it should be relatively painless for someone who has the experience and the proper knowledge. And no cost involved in printing out the certificate - a fee of $5 if I want one mailed to me.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I plan to take mine using Black Bury!

from my 6X6X3 residence at the time I become "eligible" to take the test! If I fail......I guess I'll have to burn in hell. I'm not sure that if I ACE it that they'll let me operate a boat while embalmed....and "down loaded"!!:eek:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well here goes boys my typing aint much but here i go
I have been on the water all my life so has my father his father and his father and so on my father is 67 years old we worked together on the water for years and I dont think that he should have to worry about getting a license at his age .The guys that are for it . you probably need a certificate.AND IF YOU THINK YOUR REAL SMART LETS HAVE QUIZ RIGHT HERE AT TIDALFISH

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I took my Boating skills and seamanship course years ago.I think its a great law.Operate any motorized vehicle that can KILL.You need training and should be required to pass a basic skills written test AND a behind the wheel test.
:boat:
I bet that if you ask boaters what the basic rules of the road are ie Right red returning means more that 2/3 dont have a clue.Or how to tell what direction a boat is going at night.Scarey.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The argument that a license will get rid of unwanted, irresponsible, operators is the desired outcome, but unlikely. Look no further than your typical interstate motorist as an example. To the point it should educate new boat owners, is easily obtained, and we should grandfather in experience boaters, I agree.

As to the state getting more of my hard earned dollars, :censored:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Here is the phase in schedule from the legislation. The regulations will not be formally in place until July next year and the frist required license is not until a year after that.

Remember PWC operators between 16 and 18 must currently take a course (i.e. pass an on line test). Also this law does not apply to boats with a motor less than 10 HP.

Tom

C. The Board shall promulgate regulations by July 1, 2008, to implement a boating safety education program for all motorboat and personal watercraft operators to meet boating safety education requirements.

D. Such regulations shall include provisions that phase-in the requirements for boating safety education according to the following:

1. Personal watercraft operators 20 years of age or younger to meet the requirements by July 1, 2009;

2. Personal watercraft operators 35 years of age or younger to meet the requirements by July 1, 2010;

3. Personal watercraft operators 50 years of age or younger to meet the requirements by July 1, 2011;

4. All personal watercraft operators, regardless of age, to meet the requirements by July 1, 2012;

5. Motorboat operators 20 years of age or younger to meet the requirements by July 1, 2011;

6. Motorboat operators 30 years of age or younger to meet the requirements by July 1, 2012;

7. Motorboat operators 40 years of age or younger to meet the requirements by July 1, 2013;

8. Motorboat operators 45 years of age or younger to meet the requirements by July 1, 2014;

9. Motorboat operators 50 years of age or younger to meet the requirements by July 1, 2015; and

10. All motorboat operators, regardless of age, to meet the requirements by July 1, 2016.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts