Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Caught a few fish on them rigged behing a small chugger. One day when the FA's were around they tore them up granted they were FA's but it boosted my confidnence in the lure enough to put it out there and bust a YFT or BFT on it!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have rigged them behind a ballyhood and also as a skip bait. Have not caught any tuna on them but have caught dolphin and of course bluefish. Nice to have out if you ever get cover with blues rather than them chomping away on the real ones.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Have never used them. My thoughts are when the real ballyhoo stop working I will give them a try. I have seen them used in dredges and used in a teaser spread but have not heard of any catches with them. Good luck and give us a report on your success.

Dave

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I keep a few of the Williamson brand on my boat and run them if I run out of the real stuff. I have caught some fat alberts and the skippies like them too but never a YFT or BFT. I thought they would be good because you could use them over and over again but they fall apart easy. Either the nose rips off or you get a good tear in them easily from just a single fat albert hit. You do get 2 extra bodies in every pack but you will go through them quickly.

I think you would only get one chance for the line to come tight on the fake stuff. Once they hit it and taste plastic, I doubt they will come back and hit it again. You can drop a real ballyhoo back, even one that is only 1/2 there, and they will hit it again because they liked what they tasted. I think they are good to keep on the boat, but only as a backup plan for when you run out of bait before you are done fishing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use them in spreader bar teasers & they look pretty good. I keep a couple rigged behind a C&H Lil' Stubby in case I run out of the real stuff. Some have gotten wet, but never hit :( . They do swim well, though.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
they do ok as a dangler, better than a mold craft squid, but no where near a gumme flier.

never tried them with a seawitch.

maybe if you had to run fast to keep out of bluefish, but then id just drop the cedar plugs behind me.....and wait... nothing beats that "damn stick" as a guy in costa called it one day

danny

·
Registered
970 Posts
We've run a few expirments with them over the last few years but can't say that they have worked for the desireable species. Even after running out of real bait, the cedars way outfished the plastic hoo's.

Lance

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Jimmy K makes a real/bully dredge with real on the outside and fakies on the inside. Dont have to rig as many. My buddy in Guatemala stole it but I had Jim make me another for the white bite...its sweet

1 - 19 of 19 Posts