Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've been a baitfisherman my whole life--and maybe not a particularly good one at that-- what lures should I start with if I wanted to make the jump to artificials? Esecially intersted in trout right now...

·
Registered
284 Posts
Bass assasin saltwater shad 4" with paddle tail, 5" with straight tail, zoom flukes and doa CALs in natural colors. These are good to start with by rigging them weedless or fishing them on light jigheads 1/16th to 3/8ths.
CPR,
Chad

·
Registered
255 Posts
In addition, you might want to get some small topwater plugs if your fishing inshore. If you ever fished for bass you can use a lot of the same lures for saltwater inshore fishing.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Start by getting a bunch of different size jig heads ranging from 1/16 to 1/2 oz. All the stuff mentioned above is good but I want to add 4" Gotcha Trout Killers and 4" curly tail grubs in pink/white, charteuse, white, or others. I prefer the bright colors. Storm lures are the best as long as: A) there are no bluefish around, they bite off all the tails; B) since the weight is built into the lure you may have a hard time getting it in the right depth of water where the fish are. With jig heads you can go lighter or heavier depending on the depth you want. All this stuff will work for trout, striper, bluefish, flounder, reds, and some other species too. There are also tons of hard baits out there that people swear by but I don't use them much because they are to expensive and I don't like treble hooks much, especially from a kayak. I haven't seen any evidence that they work any better either. Good luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have found that the lightline fish really like flies. Clousers and zonkers seem to imitate the action and size of silversides and anchovies better then any other fly or lure.

When it comes to lures, I tend to stick the plastics because I'm tired of getting trebles stuck in my hand. For the lightline, I have white to be the best. When it comes to style of plastic, I think 4 inch curly tails work the best. And of course the lightest jig head you can cast.

For flounder jigging, I prefer more of a jerk bait such as sluggos (regular style). I will use a jig head around 1 oz and often I use a trailer hook. I also like the "bass candy delights" that are kinda like a cross between a sluggo and an ba.

Right now my box is full of assorted berkly gulps and other sented plastics. I like the edge and have seem them work to often not to use them.

For hard baits, I caught my largest rock on a yozuri crystal minnow. Floating ones work great when trolling because when you stop they float up and don't get snagged.

I always have a popper of some sorts. You can't pass up surface activity. Worked Tuesday night.

I also carry some stingsilver type jigs and can't forgot a couple of gotcha plugs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts