Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago, like 40, Smithville Lake was loaded with pickerel. One year the dam broke and drained it and then another year they had an algae bloom That killed a lot of fish. Has the lake ever recovered? I used to really like fishing that lake. Caught the biggest pickerel I have ever seen there. I have thought about fishing there again.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Smithville lakes water control structure was replaced in the 70's. There are times in the summer when water does not spill over the dam which causes fish kills in the spillway hole below. The lack of flushing and high nutrient loading has also caused some harmful algal blooms in the lake itself recently. Currently there are good numbers of pickerel crappie and bass, but the bass population is not as good as it once was. There are also huge redear sunfish there (shellcrackers) which can be caught better if you target them specifically.

but yes plenty of pickerel. It's very popular, rarely do I go by there and not see a person fishing there.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Up until a few years ago I spent a few trips a year at Smithville. I really enjoyed fishing there for the variety. I caught plenty of Crappie, Bluegills (of various breeds), a few Bass, a Bullhead Catfish or two, and plenty of Pike. I caught my personal best pike there at just over 24". I sold my pond boat and got back on the bay in 2019. Thinking of getting another boat for the ponds this spring.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I have been catching crappie and bass there for about five years since I moved back from Venice FL. We fish the lake from shore when the dam broke. It was some great fishing with the water down. I fished below the dam about 2 or 3 years ago in Dec. and caught about 10 good size crappie. My daughter lives right next to Smithville Lake. She took this picture. Caught on purple worm.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Food Seafood Fish Staple food Cuisine
There are plenty of fish still in that lake. All these and a lot more were caught at Smithvelle lake in the last five years. Yes I'm a picture freak. No fish this morning. Too windy and cold for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts