Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howard King says he expects a conference call late Thursday or early Friday with the ASMFC technical committee will result in the setting of our spring trophy season.
Maryland asked for a daily creel of the widest possible slot (that would be 28-37 inches) or a "superfish" of 42-inches and up--the option preferred by the three advisory boards.
That leaves little wiggle room and may mean ASMFC approves a 28-36 inch slot or a superfish of 43 inches and up.
Will post a heads up after I get a call.
Candy

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Thanks

Hopefully the 28"-37" and one 42"+ will be approved, but I think it's more likely the more conservative option will be it. Personally, I could care less I caught alot of fish last year and you can count the number that went in the box on one hand and they were ones that wouldn't have made it anyway. "Superfish", I caught one last year, 44" and it went back. Thanks for the heads up Candy

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Considering a 42 or 43 inch fish could weigh close to 40 pounds. I would say it would be a major contender also considering the tournament time. I put money in the pocket with a 42 last year.

·
Registered
633 Posts
In last year's MSSA you needed to be at least 41 inches to the V to win any of the prizes. That's about a 42-43 inch fish overall. I won some money last year with a 42 that only weighed 27 pounds. So it shouldn't make too much difference. I think the kids division will be interesting though. It could be a 10 way tie of just under 36 inchers! Good thing they switched to weight istead of length.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
That is a skinny fish. My best was 48 inches and almost 50 pounds. Mine was just under 42 to the fork and it was only the evinrude cateory I hit money in.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support Tidal Fish
684 Posts
Candy, does that mean we release fish between 37 and 42 in? Also, exactly what does a "daily creel" mean? 1 fish, 2 fish?

Thanks

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support Tidal Fish
684 Posts
Candy, does that mean we release fish between 37 and 42 in? Also, exactly what does a "daily creel" mean? 1 fish, 2 fish?

Thanks -

·
Registered
206 Posts
The interesting thing will be a lesson in how these fish are "legally measured. Those just over 36 or 37 ( whatever the slot is) and just under 42 should provide some anxious moments...people are going to spend 4 or 5 minutes trying to measure a close one and end up killing the fish anyway...My $.02 worth.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Captain Dave I'm with you what if someone catches a 38" fish by the time you get it in the boat remove the hook, measure it and throw it back what is the fishes survival rate? Now you get to catch one to keep within the slot range (2) dead fish instead on (1). I hope there is not alot of 38"-42" fish out there are!!!!! Thats alot of dead fish for no reason

·
Registered
206 Posts
From what I understand of what I have read, management set this slot becuase there are indeed a majority of fish within that slot limit (based on high spawn rates way back in 91 and 92, I believe). They are giving us the best opportunity to catch one, but also to release it to "survive" and not count against the quota set at 30,000 fish...

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Captain Dave I'm with you what if someone catches a 38" fish by the time you get it in the boat remove the hook, measure it and throw it back what is the fishes survival rate? Now you get to catch one to keep within the slot range (2) dead fish instead on (1). I hope there is not alot of 38"-42" fish out there are!!!!! Thats alot of dead fish for no reason
Water will be cold enough for good releases. We were down at the CBBT in Dec and we hit a nice run of 38"+ fish late in the day after we had our limit and all were released very healthy and green. I believe most fish will be able to be released green in the slot.

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
What B-faithful said. That's probably why you don't see many floaters in the Spring/late fall. Water and air temp make all the difference.

Now in the summer, it's a different story.....which is why I think the DNR used to close the season, even to C&R, between mid-July and mid-August.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Still not sure what all the fuss is about measuring these fish. There is going to be a 6-7” slot so you surely should be able to eye-ball 90% of these fish. For the ones that are too close to call I use an optical comparator;) .

To make an "optical comparator" you need to find a piece of wood (I actually use a 48”lg. “yard stick” that I got at my local lumber yard) and cut it to 42” in length or whatever the max. slot size ends up at. Then take a magic marker and make a line at the minimum slot size as well.

Now it should only take a matter of seconds to lay the measuring stick beside the fish to determine its size. It’s fast and it’s accurate. Absolutely no reason why any fish couldn’t be back in the water in 30 seconds or less

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
414 Posts
Good Idea! If the fish is that close, send it back to the water and keep trying for a bigger one.:fishing2:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
rock decision delayed

Howard King says teleconference on rockfish season has been moved to Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts