Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all tog anglers.

Please take a few minutes to send a quick email or letter providing your input to the Tog PID due NLT Friday, 23 Oct 2015. Some of the northern states want to keep Option 1 going keeping management as a single coast wide stock. This could be very bad for Virginia as our northern neighbors continue to overfish tog while Virginia does not. If we remain connected to those states that are overfishing, when cuts are implemented, Virginia takes those cuts too even though we are not overfishing.

Please take a moment and fire off an email NLT Friday. You can use the one provide below as an example or write your own. It is encouraged that you add some of your own words to customize your message.

Below is the letter VSSA sent to ASMFC for your reference.

http://www.asmfc.org/uploads/file//55f844adpr29TautogPID_Comment_Hearings_rev.pdf

To: [email protected]
Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission
Ashton Sharp, Tog FMP Coordinator
1050 N. Highland St, Suite A-N
Arlington, VA 22201,

Subject: Tautog Public Information Document (PID).

I have reviewed the Tog PID and recommend ASMFC implement the following regarding tautog:

Issue #1. Implement regional management of tog with any option other than option 1. Out of all the options, I believe option 4 as the most viable.

Issue #2. I agree with the ASMFC goals and objective as stated.

Issue #3. I support current management structure implementing regional management of tog moving away from coast wide management. Allow each region to establish its own set of seasons and limits.

Issue #4. I support measures to rebuild stocks for those regions that are being overfished (which does not include Virginia).

Issue #5. An additional management measure recommended is to grant authority to regions (and/or states) to adjust tog season as necessary to account for cold winters as tog do not bite in very cold water.

Thank you for your consideration on this matter.

Signed,
Provide full name and contact info

Virginia Saltwater Sportfishing Association (VSSA)
ifishva.org
joinvssa.org
https://www.facebook.com/groups/IfishVA/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts