Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the Asquith reef dedication on Thursday and got there late -about 10:25 am - due to biting fish :D. No one else was there-just the barge with the oyster spat.Talked to the crew and they said everyone was on their way.Greg pulled up in his sweet Whaler and then we saw a few boats headed upriver.

It was a good turnout and the weather was perfect.

Each person was given a piece of rubble to toss in - the last pieces of the reef.

I had planned on diving but glad I didn't :D.Talk about hard hat diving - OUCH.

Stephanine (?) Reynolds from DNR gave a nice talk about the reef and even mentioned local angler input ( insert SRRKC) :clapping2:. The new reef markers are in place- I would recommend putting each one in your GPS in case they dissappear over the winter.

The oyster shell with spat (tiny oyster) was set to be put over the reef.It should be cool to dive there next summer to see how everything is growing.I have high hopes that more of these reefs can be placed in the Severn :yes:.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Nice report and pics Skip. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Skip,

I had to work, but my Dad came down for the ceremony. He said it was pretty cool. He said when they cranked up that spreader it was really moving some oysters!!!

Mark

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Sailfish - Is all that stuff stacked up on the barge all oysters or concrete rubble? If oyster... thats a LOT of oysters.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I believe it is all old oyster shell covered with baby, dime-sized oysters ("spat on shell").

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HJS - like Goose replied,it is old shell with the spat growing on it.

In nature-the oysters that die form a reef or bar.The new oysters attach to the shell and grow.Years ago (1800's) the reefs broke the surface in 15 feet of water.

Seeding the Asquith reef will help out alot but it will need to be redone in about 5-7 years.The oysters in the Severn live a long time but do not reproduce very well.

Good news is -the Severn is closed to harvest so these little guys will be filtering water until they die :thumbup:.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Good news is -the Severn is closed to harvest so these little guys will be filtering water until they die :thumbup:.
We all know that Tollys is off limits to commercial take, but records show that poachers have been caught there taking oyster in the fog when they thought nobody was looking.
Makes you wonder how many time they have poached in the river and have not been caught. :mad:

We need to guard these reefs gentlemen!

If any of us see poaching taking place anywhere in the river, call the DNR Poacher Line at 1-800-635-6124 -or- 410-260-8888.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Good point. No evidence about which I'm aware of poaching in the Severn (too many eyes and not many oysters, yet), but the CBF Greenburry Pt. sancturary has been poached on a few occassions. If you're not sure whether an area is closed and see oyster boats there, simply call DNR and report the location of where you see them. Maybe even take a pic. If they're legal, then they won't get in trouble. If not, then they deserve what they get.

Skip, I thought that the oysters do reproduce in the Severn, just much slower than in the lower Bay. The idea is to quickly generate a critical mass of oysters that can sustain themselves, although you may turn out to be right that some re-seeding will be necessary until that critical mass is achieved.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Skip-

FYI Stephanie Reynolds is the CBF Oyster Restoration Project Mgr. She doesn't work for DNR.

But anyway looks like a good turn out. I was in SC NOT catching redfish. Got pretty much blown out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts