Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I got no responses, I found out for myself finally.
Went again last evening and caught a smallie about 3 pounds and 15.5 inches.
Good fish. Nice fight.
Caught a couple smaller ones about the same time.
Also caught 8 cats in the process.
All-in-all, me and a buddie fished 3 hours caught 16 fish.
Good luck to y'all

·
Registered
126 Posts
I went to the local Townhouse drainage near my home in Olney Maryland on Sunday July 10 in the heat of the afternoon (2:30 to 4:05).

I caught a 18.5 inch largemouth fat girl. After that I casted again without retying. I broke off. It was a heavy fish. I then caught a 12 incher. Total fishing time = 1.5 hours. All fish caught on a wacky rigged senko. A regular senko had received no hits.

I am amazed at the number of large fish I have caught or hooked over the last 10 years during the hottest mid-summer days. This includes on the upper potomac for smallmouth.

Some days in might be good to sleep in. Try the hot of the day.
No crowds. Also, sometimes when I get up at 4:30 Am to be on the water at 6am, I get home and take a nap and I am not worth a sh__t for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
668 Posts
bigpat,

Nice report! Good bass fishing is often and surprisingly found in unexpected places at unexpected times.

I'd be curious at to the location of that drainage pond, but I understand if you want to keep it secret.

Tis

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had good fishing recently in a neighborhood drainage pond. I don't know how the bass get in them, as DNR and County folks claim they don't stock them.

Last year was the first I'd tried at this pond (it's been their 11 years+), but I took my que from seeing herons there pretty often as I walked my dog nearby. I was expecting only bluegills last year around this same time, but caught 8 young largemouths (<10 inches) in one busy afternoon hour. I assumed there had to be some older=larger bass, and both last year and this year I caught a solid 16-incher! I didn't have a scale, but was thrilled to feel it's heavy pull.

Dusk has been better for me than early morning or mid-day. You just have to remember your bug spray. If you're balancing daytime on family chores/projects, the after-dinner period with approaching darkness can help keep you from staying out too long. I just wish we had the long days with temps like in October!

Richard Berke
Columbia, MD

·
Registered
668 Posts
reberke,

Fish always show where they presumably aren't. It's what makes checking out these ponds so interesting.

Perhaps they got in there as a result traveling fish eggs on the web of duck feet. I've heard that story more than once and it seems a pretty logical explanation of how fish end up in an unstocked closed waterway.

Tis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts