Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I gear up for my first trip of the year (maybe tomorrow) and my first trip using planner boards, I had a quick question. After I get the planner boards set, drop my fishing lines back 2-3-4... bars, I was wondering how I will be able to attached the Scotty clip from my planner lines to my fishing line? I mostly fish by myself and thought about how I was going to attach the lines, especially with the drag of an Umbrella rig. I guess I'll put the rods in the holder, grab the fishing line (with some gloves / I use Power Pro), pull it forward to the planner board lines and attach the Scotty Clips. What's the trick? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you by yourself it is tough but can be done put the rod in the closest holder to your board line and do like you said but its still a whole lot easier than rubber bands.

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
I guess I'll put the rods in the holder, grab the fishing line (with some gloves / I use Power Pro), pull it forward to the planner board lines and attach the Scotty Clips. What's the trick? Thanks.
That's how I do it with the exception of the gloves. You don't need gloves running #80 Power Pro

·
Registered
102 Posts
Go to the Home Depot and buy some of those mountian climbing clips (small ones around 3" long and cost $1). Then I take a peice of 80lb leader(around 2 to 3 inches long) loop the leader line though the mountain clip and scotty clip, then crimp the leader so the two clips are one. I like to attach my scotty clip to my fishing line first, then I can slap the mountain cllip on the planner board line. When I'm alone I can place the rod in my leaning post and now I can steer the boat while releasing line out down the planer line. Also when the fish hits the line, you will either here it or see it before the drag starts to click on the reel. This is really a two man job operation, do yourself a favor and stay outside the fleet until you have all your rigs out.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Scotty to a carabiner
When you're by yourself don't lean over the gunnel to grab the P line
I use a homemade measuring stick with a hook to grab the planer line, then attach the Scotty:yes:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Can be very tricky when your by yourself, don't recommend you do this when the season opens. There is a lot of traffic on the water, someone should always be at the wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts