Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took the kids down to Lake Rawlings on Wednesday to go diving.It is an old quarry where the rocks for the CBBT were blasted out.It is about an hour south of Richmond,Va - long 190 mile drive for us but well worth it.We got there around 11:00 and only a few other divers from a fire department were there.Wednesdays are half price days and are never crowded.I got into scuba diving to learn more about fish and it really opened my eyes to how fish behave.In our bay it is tough to see but in clear water you can really learn alot.The lake is full of big Bluegills that are fed by divers so they are not scared of people at all.In fact- they followed us all day.

They love hotdogs and it was a mob scene once they smelled the hotdogs.

The Bluegills even tried to bite through the Ziplock bag.

They swarmed around the kids who had a blast feeding them.It was fun hearing them laugh underwater.It was a real treat to me to be able to actually see for a change.In the bay most dives feature visibility of 2 feet or less.At Lake Rawlings- we could see 55 feet down to the bottom :thumbup:.There are old cars/buses/boats and an airplane in the lake and we saw all of them.

Here's Tyler eye to eye with a LM Bass.

Not sure if underwater basketball will catch on but it was fun.

Saw one Bluegill that was hurt but it had healed over.No idea what did it but it shows how bad an injury fish can live through.

While the kids explored a sunken boat-I watched a Bass stalk some minnows.

The small minnows just swam very slowly and paused alot.Now/then they would dart a few inches but for the most part they stayed still.I think I might slow down my retrieve on some lures ;-).You could lay on your back and look up at the trees along the shoreline.

We did two nice long 1 1/2 dives with a nice lunch break in between dives.The water temp. was 70* until we got to 45 feet, then it dropped to 55* :eek:.The deeper/cooler water was not as clear and no fish were in it.We packed up an headed home around 5:00 pm.Long day but alot of fun.Wish our bay had even 10 feet of visibility - it would offer great local diving if it did.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Nice pictures and very clear water. Does much silt get kicked up when you go along the bottom?

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much at all.The quarry has a granite bottom and loose gravel.Only time it gets cloudy is a busy weekend with alot of new divers but even then the viz. is still 15 feet or more.One of the better quarries on the east coast IMHO.

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a little bit clearer then our bay :D.

This is 20 feet down last October off the Sewer Pipe on an oyster bar the Cownose Rays destroyed.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Great pics of the fish! Those bluegills can be bold. I remember snorkeling in Dickerson quarry about 30 years ago and hand feeding bluegills baloney. I started a feeding frenzy. They ended up hitting the drawstring if my bathing suit and a few were hitting a couple moles on my skin! I remember seeing tiny teeth marks around the perimiter of the mole.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You got that right! We've kept big 'gils n our big tanks for many years and they are one of the nastyest fish in the tank. We can't keep more than one in our 60+; two in the 75 in school they are so terretorial after they get big and plate sized. No wonder on light tackle they are a one of the fightenest fish that swims!

And that they gots teeths too! Did ya know that?:eek2:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great vis! What were the temps like? I've got a 3mm full length suit. Do you think that's enough? It's been a few years since I've been down but with that kind of visability around here it would be worth getting back into the water!

-Brett

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brett - it was 70* until we got to 45 feet or so.We wore 7mm with hoods but were underwater a total of 3 hours.A 3mm would be OK and if you find it not thick enough- there is a full dive shop at the lake that rents 7mm/hoods/gloves.

Rawlings is open Weds, Fri/Sat /Sun now but 7 days a week from May- Sept.

There are camp sites available - most times we stay one night.Long day driving down/back.

We like it better then the quarries in Penn. - they never seem to warm up.
Rawlings in August is warm :yes: - sometimes near 80* to 20 feet.The thermocline is around 30 feet in summer :eek: but there is plenty of stuff to see in the shallow water.Down deep (45-60) the viz. drops and it is best to follow the guide ropes to each object.Tough to find them by eye.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
great pics, Skip!

thanks for sharing!

probably picked up a tip in there, too;-)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Wow, thanks for sharing Skip. That was pretty cool stuff

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
My favorite sunken car there is the Paddi Waggon. Lots of stuff to see but its a long trip in one day. Had 20ft vis off Delaware last weekend. Cool pics, wish I got down there this year.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Cool pictures Skip!! Those bluegills looked like good livelining size :D I would have been holding food in one hand and stuffing them into a trash bag with the other for later use:pp

Mark

1 - 20 of 27 Posts