Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a bluefish while live lining at the Western rock pile on Saturday that had this strange looking parasite attached to the inside of its gills. :eek2: My wife was a bio major in college and identified it as some type of isopod crustacean. I'm thinking about contacting the Maryland DNR about this. It reminded us of those things on Star Trek II "The Wrath of Khan" that Khan put into the star fleet members ears.

DSCF0018small.jpg

DSCF0018a.jpg

DSCF0029small.JPG

Khan: "You see, their young enter through the ears and wrap themselves around the cerebral cortex. This has the effect of rendering the victim extremely susceptible to suggestion. Later as they grow follows madness and death." :eek:
DSCF0021a.jpg

On another note we had no problem putting 50 spot in the live well at Dolly's in about an hour and a half. The water was 66*. We caught no rock (except for one dinky dink caught at Dolly's), but boated 6 or 8 blues and lost at least that many. The blues were the same size pretty much as they've been all summer: 14 to 18 inches of so. We spend too much time having fun with the blues at the rock pile, and canned going to the sewer pipe on account of it starting to get late. We went to Podickery just in time for the tide to die.

Instead of rockfish with our cheesy eggs this morning for breakfast, we dined on bluefish. Drizzle fillets with lemon juice. Spread a mix of Dijon mustard and mayo on the fillets, then add bacon strips. 375* for 20-25 minutes; nuke the bacon for one minute when the fish is almost done, as the bacon will not have cooked all the way. :chef:

Lessons #1: As fun as they are, I need to not spend that much time with the blues when I am after rock. Lesson #2: I need to learn better time/tide management (see lesson #1).
The only rock of the day: This moster!! :bigfish: LOL!!
DSCF0014small.jpg

"I've got them Western Rockpile Blues!" :cool2:
DSCF0016small.jpg

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Nothing to be worried about.Alot of Blues have them.It is just a parasite.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lironeca ovalis

We googled "Gill Isopod" and "Gill Flea" and came up with Lironeca ovalis

ADW: Lironeca ovalis: Information

Geographic Range
Lironeca ovalis is distributed along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States, ranging from Wood Holes, Massachusetts to the Mississippi River. (Sandifer and Kerby, 1983)

Habitat
Lironeca ovalis is found in aquatic environments on marine fish along coastal areas, specifically in the Atlantic coast and Gulf of Mexico. It commonly parasitizes Pomatomus saltatrix (bluefish), Morone saxatilis (striped bass), and Birdiella chrysura (silver perch). (Richardson, 1905; Sandifer and Kerby, 1983)

These animals are found in the following types of habitat:
saltwater or marine .

Aquatic Biomes:
coastal .

Other:
intertidal or littoral .

Physical Description
It was actually a fascinating looking critter. The bluefish that it was attached to was gut hooked. We inspected the fish and it looked otherwise healthy, so in the cooler it went. The red livelining hook can be seen in some of my pictures.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Lot of them this year. Not always in the gills, fins too. I find them on the deck sometimes. Got a dried one pinned to the wall in my shop.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts