Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello NC Fishermen -

I rented a vacation house in Point Harbor, NC for the first week of August. It's just across the bridge west of Kitty Hawk and has a boat slip. I'm towing my 20' Grady along for the trip and would appreciate any advice on local fishing strategies for August. I'm guessing I might find trout and fluke in the channels of the sound. Any thoughts on how/where to fish the sound? It looks like a 20+ mile run down to the inlet. So, I'm hoping the sound offers some decent fishing. My home port is Barnegat Bay, NJ (really a sound) - up here August in the bay can be tough - mostly grass shrimping weaks early or late in the day. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks - Tom

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'am not sure about what you might catch that time of year but I do know that there is no water on the point at Point Harbor so be careful if you are boating on the south side of the bridge and on the west side of the sound. 3 feet of water at best! Your best bet may be to trailer down to OI

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fishtales, it does look very shallow in the immediate area. The owner tells me there's about 3 feet at the dock and from a view of some online maptech charts it looks like it drops to 10-15' in the Arbemarle not far to the southwest of the point. I ordered a bluechart card of the area for my chartplotter. Can anyone recommend a good paper chart of the area that I might use to ID drop-offs and plan on some areas to fish?

I'm thinking the warm water in August will mean no stripers. I'm guessing I'll probably have a shot at small trout. How about reds? Should I expect a shot at them too or is the wrong place/time? Local advice appreciated.

Thanks - Tom

·
Registered
915 Posts
thats not a very productive place to fish in august.as FT's said theres no water or holes around the bridge,up to twenty feet in the Alb. sound but its the wrong time of the year.

manns harbor is better,motor across and fish the old bridge for stripers,trout,flounder,spots and such.

good luck.:fishing2:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't rule out the Kitty Hawk bridge in August. Early mornings & late afternoons around the pilings casting 1-2 oz bucktails & Rattletraps. Also fish the shellbeds for Spot & Croaker. You can catch sound stripers, trout, and maybe even some puppy drum that time of year. Some current around the pilings is always a plus. The Manns Harbor bridge seems to hold more fish, but its fished harder. You might also try some of the marsh points on the Currituck side for drum. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts