Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to check the calendar to be sure it was really October.Tee shirts while launching the boat at 7:00 am. Fellow Tfers Scottaylor (Scott) and Spynet00 (Dave) were with me today.We loaded the boat with ice/dive gear/fishing rods/lunches and of course-donuts :D. Plan was to get Spot/catch Rock and go diving for anchors.Ran to Dollys and found Spot on the meter so we anchored over them.The tide was high and the current slack but the Spot still bit.We got about 45 of them in an hour - taking a coffe/donut break while watching the sun over the slick calm bay.

With plenty of frisky Spot-we ran north towards Podickery and watched the meter for Rock in 25-35 feet of water - basically the edge of the drop off.Saw scattered fish and anchored upcurrent of them about 50 feet or so.Put the bigger Spot out under bobber rigs (15 and 20 feet down) and then fished two rods with no weights.It took no time before the Spot on my line got nervous and then I felt the THUNK of a nice Rock taking the bait.The line raced off the reel and as soon as the hook was sent-the rod was handed to Scott (he brought the donuts :thumbup: ). The Rock put up a decent fight - it even jumped :confused: but Scott worked it to the boat and the fat 29 incher was soon netted.

Took a quick photo and iced it down.One of the bobber rigs got hit but it was a Blue.Had another hit but the Rock only mauled the Spot.More Blues hit our bigger Spot and the current was picking up strength.Took a gamble and ran back towards the western rockpile.The anchor was not even tight and Dave caught a nice 19 incher.Dave called for the net so I netted him :pp and Scott laughed.Dave had the touch though and got three more but they were just a touch short.The current slowed somewhat so it was back north to Podickery.Set up again and in about one hour we put four more in the cooler to finish our limit.One was about 26 -the other three about 22 but all were footballs - nice and fat.Moved towards Sandy Point light to go diving over some cables.Although marked on the charts-people anchor here and lose their anchors.Dragged a grapple until it snagged and Dave and I got ready to dive.Gave Scott a quick rundown about the anchors and we both went over the side.Dave liked finding fishing lures while I went after anchors.Found a small danforth- then a Rock Hall anchor.

Brought them up with a lift bag and Scott pulled them into the boat.Dave had brought up some parachutes so I knew he was having fun.We could not see each other underwater and stayed about 30 feet apart.Next anchor I found was a big danforth but it was tangled with another Rock Hall anchor.I tried pulling it free but it was stuck.Tried pulling the Rock Hall one loose but it was wedged in also.All the pushing/pulling had stirred up the bottom and I could not see anything.Finally stood over the anchor and twisted and pulled and cussed until it was free.Put my liftbag on the chain and sent it up.Once at the surface-I saw the strangest anchor ever- it was a danforth/Rock Hall hybrid - a real ball buster for Scott to haul in the boat :eek:.

The current started moving in and that ended our diving.Headed back over calm seas and even though wet from diving- it was really warm out.The water temp. read 71.8* - in October :yes:. Fun day- Scott fit right in and kept after the blood and anchor mud :clapping2:. Great guy who does not have a boat (HO hint ;-)).We unloaded the boat and just shook our heads at an August day in October.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Looks like them anchors had a love child in your driveway

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Good talking to you guys today. Glad you got your rock. That one anchor makes my 22 pound anchor look like a baby. Glad I don't have to pull that dude by hand:eek2:...Mark

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Skip, it doesn't get much better than today......doughnuts, rockfish, anchors, calm seas and 75 degree weather in October:thumbup:......Gary

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Nice work guys!! Love that sunrise shot of the Bridge!

Skip, that hybrid anchor looks like something off of the Black pearl!!!! That definitely would have won the open catagory on Saturday!!

Mark

·
Registered
913 Posts
Glad you found the rock. On Sunday about 5PM, we caught spot, but could not find any marks along the usually reliable contour off of Podickery. With the sun settling, we fished the rock piles, but caught only blues.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Looks like a fun day on the water. Thanks for sharing the pictures and report.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts