Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007- 150Yamaha HPDI motor with just over 100 hours on it. Although, I have not had any issues with this motor I have read several articles where excessive trolling and half throttle operation causes carbon build up in the cylinders.

Recently I have been doing a lot of trolling for rock fish and was wondering if I should run the motor a little hard on the way home to help blow it out after a days trolling. I religiously use ring free and startron to stabilize my fuel. My average cruising speed is between 3500 and 4200 RPMS on the way home. I see a lot of theses motor’s on the water and would like to know what is the average cruising RPMS everyone holds their 150 at.

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 2005, Yamaha F250 with 426 hours. I do my own maintenance and haven't taken my motor in for any service. I buy my parts from SouthEastern Marine in Sandston and the mechanic there instructed me to run my motor wide-open a few minutes every outing, if possible.

Like you I use ring-free and if conditions allow I run my motor WOT a few minutes every time out, then I usually "back" the RPMs down to about 5600 and keep it there for 10 minutes or more.

I tend to run fast and fuel conservation is not foremost on my mind because I live in the Richmond area and fish mainly around the mouth of the Bay, losing four hours of fishing time during the trailering distance each trip.

Growing up in Fox Hill, near Wallace's, with our own pier and boat, I didn't realize how lucky I was then. It's a major chore to second guess the weather, prepare the boat, and trailer down to Hampton to fish.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have the 150 2-stroke w/187 hours pushing a 21 ft. Key West WA w/hard top. Mine is usually around 3600 or so. No problems and can't say enough about the motor. I have my boat serviced once a year but do maint. in between when needed. Use ring free in your gas and keep the tank full. I asked about stabilizer and was told it was not needed because I use my boat throughout the year.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 2001 Yamaha HPDI 150 and it works great.
I use it all year long but noticed sluggish performance after running at no wake speed for three days during harborfest a couple of years ago. I ended up replacing the fuel filter, and cleaning the sparkplugs. That fixed the problem. As a tip the motor has a 1500 rpm limit if the engine detects a problem in fuel. It will allow you to limp home but easy fix with fuel filter/spark plug cleaning. I keep a spark plug socket on the boat just in case.

Mine is on a Grady White 208 with trim tabs
I e-mailed GW and they sent a chart showing fuel consumption for that boat/setup and optimum conditions.
At 4000 RPMS the mpg is 4.2 according to that chart
Notice that at 3500 RPMS the mpg is only 3.8

You get better milage on my boat with that motor by going a little faster in that RPM range because of planeing.
At 4500 RPM the mileage begins to drop off again to 3.9 but still better mpg than at 3500
While still making 3.5mpg at 5000 RPM

My mileage is probably not that good because of Bimini Top and curtains but even with that it runs about 30kts in slight chop and full tank.

Charlie
On the "Ms Cait"

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got twin 150s and run yamalube and ring free tend to run them hard on the way home but I`m not worried about the extra fuel for 10-12 mi if I was I wouldn`t have bought the boat but for long runs I keep it around 3800-4000 to get the best performance but still blow her out the last few mi

1 - 5 of 5 Posts