Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody using these?? I need to add a couple reels to the new boat and found a pretty good deal on a couple AVET EX 30W reels. The plan is for braid and mono topshot. Will be used offshore out of VA beach and OBX. Any thoughts on these reels??

Chris

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I've got a couple and like them. I'd personally stack them up against the Tiagras and Penn Int'ls, and would buy the reel I could get the best price on. I'm a big avet fan FWIW and own a number of smaller reels that I use for all sorts of applications from deep dropping to rockfish trolling.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I have 4 avets in my spread including three 30's (both wide/narrow). With the braid backing, you have same capacity as a Penn International 50 with mono and better drag. I sold my penn 50's and replaced with avet 30's. I also have an AVET HXW raptor which at 30 oz. is much lighter but has even more drag than the Pro EX 30. This is a versatile reel that is small enough for chunking/deep drop yet powerful enough to troll a big eye bait or spreader bar. These reels are a little more $ than the pro ex 30 but worthy of consideration.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I purchased the Avet HXW Raptor this past summer and used it this fall for the first time on several head boat tuna chunking trips. The reel is amazing. I had it loaded with 300yards of 80lb Jerry Brown hollow core topped with about 175 yds of 80lb mono top shot. I caught several fat longfin and yellowfin up to 80lbs and the reel performed flawlessly. It wieghs less then the 30w, has about the same line capacity (give or take) and is much more of a beast then the 30w (IMHO). I did not get a chance to troll with it, but am planning on it next summer. It costs just a tad more than the 30w, but the fact that it weighs less makes it more comfortable to chunk with. Overall nice reel.....paid about $525 for it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MEZZ, that seems pretty light on the line capacity, AVET lists over 1100 yards of 80 braid. I would have thought it would have held more.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
I have a full trolling spread of 8 HXW 5/2s and have never had any issue landing any fish with them. I'm pretty sure from recollection I have 400yd of 65lb spectra and a 200yd topshot of 50lb momoi on each. I actually run a HX 5/2 raptor as my planer rod. Fighting fish on these outfits is so different than the standard heavy metal reels...I will never go back. Just another prop for the HX series I guess.

·
Registered
353 Posts
MEZZ, that seems pretty light on the line capacity, AVET lists over 1100 yards of 80 braid. I would have thought it would have held more.
1100 yards of 80 braid is probably real close....remember, I have somewhere between 175-200yrds of 80lb mono on top of 300 yrds of 80lb braid. That 200yrds of mono takes up a bunch of capacity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts