Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody on the Southside service Avet??? :confused:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welp, since I got such an enormous response from this thread, I retreated to the good ole days and did some research on my own. Yep, I made some phone calls (landline) and talked to some folks (actual oral conversation). I discovered that no one in the area services Avet reels, you have to wrap them up, and ship them to California. HOWEVER, I was also told that their service was quick. OK, the old girl is getting "rough", so let's pack it up and see what happens. Sent it out last Monday evening, priority USPS (6.00), and Friday afternoon I get a phone call saying it is done and back in the mail that day. WOW! These guys ARE quicker than Lyle in OV on Saturday night! I was also told that Avet charges 35.00 to repair/service any reel after 1 year (warranty covers a year) and that includes shipping back to you. Pretty sweet deal I think, I should have it back in my cradling arms on Tuesday. Just FYI for you Avet owners...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Ummmmm, Sorry bud, but you are sadly mistaken, if they were as fast as me, it would have been back Monday evening at 6:01 hahahahaha

Congrats on the quick service, I know how much you enjoy that sort of thing.

I thought I was going to have to send mine back after only using it twice, as it locked up. But.. a couple of beers and my magic fingers and it was fixed ( purely by accident I might add ) : - )

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ITBS, the Avets are pretty good for the average fisherman. Of course they just can't take big fish after big fish after big fish after big fish...

I didn't ask for your opinion at all

·
Registered
34 Posts
Must be winter

All of the crazy folks are online posting. Avets are not junk...they are fine reels that fish well and do just what they should for thier price point...they represent a strong buy. For example...no equivlent in the market at under $200 for the SX. Barstock, great lever drag, small reel. What is not to like?

Disclosure; I own Avets...but I also own Penns, Daiwas and Shimanos. Avets stack up along side them.

As for Avet service... They are FAST AND GOOD. They fix anything on thier reels for under $35. I have all my non Avet reels serviced every season as well so what is the big deal.

It's winter...and I am posting rather than fishing...maybe I have joined the cray folks?!

Here's wishing you warm weather!

·
Registered
303 Posts
ICLF, I see from some of your pictures those massive 14"" seabass and 8lb blues probably put a lot of stress on your tackle,so I see why you would use penn as your main reel of choice, but my avet has yanked up 50lb plus grouper, teenage tog, some big cobes, and various other species with out a problem. you might want to tell your friends that own them( both of them) that a good rinse after using them might help them last a little longer. :thumbup: good fishing to ya!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Service?

Do Avets need serviceing? Had one for 3 years and have outsides of saltkiller post sevice washdowns and a bit of oil in marked spots done little. Just as slick as a$$urates or penns or others. Mine is one of the earlys and I dont care for the clicker too much, but right there with any other reel Ive ever used.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Call the CG Rob.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
rob if u would stop sleeping with your sleeping with your tackle, you probably would have better luck keeping the lint and junk outta your reels. last time i was over your wife was complaining how she would put your new trevalla avet combo in the corner, but every morning she kept finding it under the covers.

·
Registered
753 Posts
IMO the avet`s are junk, everyone that I know that has one, has had to have them fixed at some point! My penn`s keep on cranking!
Must be true !!!!!!!!!!!!

CURB ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my Shi% is sitting on the curb, im not fishing with junk any more. No wonder I cant catch fish.
First come first serve.

( notice ) remove the reels and please leave the rods, I will find something to do with them !

:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am proud to disclose that my Avets were all stolen...

...from the Coast Guard:yes:

So, never cost me a penny

STILL, an

·
Registered
98 Posts
my Avet's been good to me

I have had my 2 speed AVET for several years now. It has done well when I go out to San Diego on a day -1/2 boat and bring in 25-30 lb Albacore. It cast the light anchovies very well and the drag is smooth as the Ablacore give a good fight for 15 to twenty minutes on 20lb test. Last year, I had it serviced (overhauled) in one week (including mail time)when I was out there for $35 dollars. Very friendly service too. AVET phone # 818-576-9895. Hope it helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts