Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left Sandy Point ramp at 7:15am with fellow Tfer Abter1 (Leland) , my friend Alberto and his son Oscar.Fair amount of trailers there on a perfect fall day.Ran over to Dollys on flat seas and found Spot in 16 feet of water.We bailed them and put 55 in the livewell in an hour with a few double headers :thumbup:. Was not sure if it was really October seeing how many Spot are still here.Got into the donuts :D on the way to the western rockpile.Stopped just short of it and anchored in 35 feet of water over some good marks.The current was going out and picking up speed.We put Spots over and I got lucky and had the first hit.The fat 19'' went in the cooler and I let the guys fish.Figured it would be a fast limit and there were still donuts left.The guys caught six Rock but all were 17 to 17 1/2 inchers.Then the Blues found us and we lost about 12 Spot to them.Not wanting to waste our bait- we pulled anchor and ran north to Podickery.Got up there and no one else was fishing.Set up over a snaggy area I like and put the bigger Spot over on BFG bobbers.They got hit right away but it was Blues :eek:.The guys used weighted rigs just off the bottom and Alberto got a nice 21 '' Rock.One of the bobber rigs on a baitrunner got hit and Oscar set the hook on it.The Rock pulled but then got loose.The big Spot was crushed so we rebaited and set it back out.Alberto got another one around 22'' and then the bobber rig got hit again.This time the hook held and Oscar reeled in a nice 27 incher.Alberto got the next one that hit the bobber and it was about 30 inches.

Fellow Tfer Hakuna Matata (Jerald) came up next to us.He had offered to let me see his 3D fishfinder so I got on his boat for awhile.He ran all the way up from Chesapeake Beach as a favor :clapping2:. Tell me TFers aren't good guys.We looked over the snag and a few other areas I dive and heard Oscar yelling.Saw the guys net a Rock about 25 inches - funny seeing my boat from the water.The 3D finder was cool :thumbup: and Jerald dropped me back on my boat and anchored near us.The current was going slack and this is often the best time to catch big Rock.Leland's baitrunner started screaming and we reeled the other lines out of the way.He set the hook on a good fish and the Rock really gave him a fight.We held our breath as the fish ran towards the anchor line but it turned back around and was soon in the net.The fat 34 incher weighed 15.6 lbs :yes:.Leland was real happy with it.

The current went slack and we got hit by more Blues.Moved about 1/4 mile and waited for the current to start in.While waiting we ate lunch and bottom fished in 25 feet and catch more Spot.Once the current started-the fresh Spot were put over and Oscar got a 24 incher that finished our limit.The weather was perfect - the catching was just icing on the cake.Got back to the ramp and while I got the truck-the guys took photos and divided up the fish.Here's Alberto and Oscar with two.

They took more photos but with Leland's camera.I hope he will post them.My grandfather told me that October is God's way of apologizing for winter.Today makes up for a bad winter in my book - it was perfect :thumbup:.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
The fish are O.K. ,but that sure is one handsome looking boat in the backround of the first pic! :pp

-JB

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 3D finder has potential :thumbup:. It would take some getting used to but no doubt is a cool tool to have.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Skip,

Nice fish!! Looks like the Rock are getting bigger.
I was out Saturday and was surprised the spot are still here in the numbers they are.

Alberto, Oscar is getting big, the last time I saw him you still had him beat!!

Ken

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Wow, what a day! Bunch of memorable firsts for me. First time out with Skip...that makes the day right there...wow, what an education! :thumbup: TF HOing at its best...I learn more in one day HOing than in a season of reading and trying it myself. First time on a Grady (Nothing further said to avoid pissing off my Parker friends I hope to fish with again :pp). First time in a long time not having to struggle to find spot (and in October no less). First time fishing with Alberto and Oscar...2 truly first class guys and first class fishermen. Man we need more 15 year olds like Oscar! And first time serious rockfishing out of Sandy Point.

Oh yeah...first time with a 34"er on my Okuma E20 baitrunner. Quality fish on light tackle :clap: I have to admit as I was chasing the fish around the boat I was thinking a larger reel might be nice about then, but the E20 came through like a champ. I love the light weightness of it. I'm going to give it 5 years before commenting on the durability of it (I'm hard to convince...just show me !), but ever since I saw a TFer on my boat using one I have been very impressed with the $60 baitrunner.

The camera stayed in the bag on board the boat...somehow I never even think about it when the rod is bent or the net is closing in on the fish. Here are a couple of similar hero shots at the end of the day. Funny how my bigun was a whole lot heavier after 10 hours of steady fishing than it was earlier in the day. :D Only a couple of shots came out, and I cropped these some. Guess its about time to clean some of that fish goo off my lens :eek:

Thanks so much Skip for taking me along! First Class Fishing all the way on a drop-dead gorgeous October day. :clapping2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Skip, nice report once again! :thumbup: We did almost the same thing on Saturday except we go into the blues at the rockpile and spent way, way, way too much time with them. What can I say, blues just make my heart rate increase. By the time we got to Podickary, the tide died.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Thanks for the rpt and pics Skip,

nice feesh. :D:clap:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Great report Skip! Congrats gents. Nice catches. You guys are lucky to find the rock, nuthin but blues for me lately but they're great fun too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts