Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I have had years of experience in the bar bq business and may be able to help you. Do you want to cook in an indoor oven or outside? What equipment do you have?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
This is a tomato-free sauce that I have used for over 20 years. If you prefer the tomato-base sauces, don't even bother with this stuff.

Vinegar base BBQ sauce.
1 gal of Cider Vinegar
1 jar of Ground Cayenne Pepper(The 'jar' is a little under 2 ounces -- like 1 5/8 oz.)
1 jar of Crushed Red Peppers
1 cup of plain salt
1/2 cup of sugar optional. Personally, I don't use the sugar.
1/2 of the recipe makes plenty for 10-12 butts or a 100 pd half- hog. For 2 butts(10+ pds), probably a pint would do just fine. It keeps in the fridge very well too.

Heat the vinegar almost to a boil, dump in the ingredients, stir well to mix everything. Remove from the heat and let cool.
You can pour it right back into the vinegar bottle. This sauce goes on the hot/warm meat after its pulled or chopped also, keep a shaker bottle on the table for those who like more. A cooler works to mix the meat/sauce up -- I use a 48 or ~60 igloo.

jkpl001 has it right. Low, slow and a meat thermometer to measure about 140 deg. in the center of the butts when they are done. I try to keep the smoker temp at around 220-240 deg.

Good luck
budc

·
Registered
678 Posts
jkpl001 has it right. Low, slow and a meat thermometer to measure about 140 deg. in the center of the butts when they are done. I try to keep the smoker temp at around 220-240 deg.

Good luck
budc
140 really? I usually let my shoulders run up to 190 degrees internal temp over the course of 12-14 hours on a grill running @ 250.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Here is the quickest and easiest you can do for a smoker!

Coat butt with brown sugar and cayanne pepper.

Smoke with apple chips for at least 6 hours

Chop and eat!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts