Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back home for 2 weeks to take care of taxes and be with 90 year old parents for Easter .

Going back down on April 12 to take a shot at some tarpon for a couple of weeks . Then coming back home for the summer for some rock and crabbing . Haven't met any rec crabbers down there yet only commercial guys . They call our big pots (traps] and your allowed 5 with your fishing license . The water police don't know anything about the rules for pull up traps or trot lines . Your daily catch limit for crabs is 10 gallons . { I guess thats 2- 5 gallon buckets full and I have seen no size regs . I know they use small hard crabs whole for bait for various fish so I guess there is no size limit .

Didn't get in as much fishing as I would have liked too . Damn snook under my son in laws pier light at night almost drove us crazy . 20 [ 18 to 35 inch fish ] or more feeding on 1 inch minnows and some kind of red glowing worm at the surface and 6 inches down. You could almost reach down and touch them . We only caught about 8 of the small ones in 2 months of trying almost every night . Tried everything . Even caught some of the minnows and worms they were feeding on with tiny hooks and flourocarbon . Nada . they would come hard to 3 inches of them and turn away . I was so frustated I almost bought a bow until I heard about a guy in the next canal that they caught doing that and he got hauled off to jail in cuffs . Been thinking about electrocuting them ha ha . They are great eating . Your only allowed 1 a day between 27 and 34 inches . Also 5 sea trout between 15 and 20 inches . the limits are really tough . They even closed the grouper season for a while last month .

My Son in law just bought a new 25 ' cc with a 250 Yam on it . It's some brand that's made by Carolina skiff . Can't think of the name [ sometimers disease] . $50,000. That should get us out in the Gulf for the big boys .

It sure is crazy down there because of the shallow water as you try to get out of the canals to the open water . There are thousands of large boats back in those canals that just sit on the lifts because of the extra low tides along the gulf during the winter and the silted in areas where you get out of the canals . They are always begging the county to dredge with little success . These people sure didn't do much research before they bought these million dollar houses and big boats . They must never use them since most of them go home in the summer when the tides are better . You have to plan your trip around the tides or you don't get home .

When is the next meeting and where ?

Tony

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
welcome back, Tony.

hope you brought some good weather back with you!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts