Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to the mouth of Back River today looking for some striper action. My fishing buddy Steve and I caught about two dozen fish. We each got two keepers to take home. Nice time, calm weather, but I screwed up and got caught over a bar with a boat wake and got washed over with three successive waves. A little wet but the paddling jacket and wet suit kept me in good shape. Water temp is down to about 59 degrees right now.

I posted picture on Virginia Angler board

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I'm guessing your not talking about the "Back River" thats near Baltimore. I use a canoe in the Bay's rivers and have seen large rolling waves suddenly turn dangerous when they hit shallow bars. Fortunately I've never been in the midst of them when they break. I always keep a sharp eye out for big boats and large waves.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I am talking about Back River that separates Poquoson and Hampton. THe water was relatively calm, but the waves from large boats and ships travel pretty long distances at times and when they go into the shallower water they would start breaking. The problem was that the water most of the time was calm, but I got into catching a fish quite regularly and got sideways to the waves. If I had been setting such that the stern of my kayak was facing into them I would not have had the problem. I think a rudder on the kayak and down in place would have helped tremendously....... the problem is that I cannot get my yak into my she if it's outfitted with a rudder like I really would like to have.

However, the great fishing there more than compensated for my moment of getting in the wrong place. Of course had it turned out different (flipped) it would be a different story.......[excited]

Some of the fish we caught..................

1 - 3 of 3 Posts