Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owner at Owens Landing marina was nice enough to let me leave my boat there after our trip last weekend. I've been referring to this year's excellent yellow perch run as the gold rush, not only because of the color of the fish, but because of the economic benefit to the Upper Bay area as a result of all the fishermen pouring in. The fishing has been great and should hopefully get even better. Fearing bad weather this week, I felt like I should go up and get the boat today.

With 20 knot winds and temps in the 20s, I didn't think there would be much hope of fishing. I had a couple of friends planning to join me, but I called them off. Rich offered to go along anyway in case I needed help with the boat. When we got there, it looked like we might be able to launch if we broke some ice and kicked some driftwood out of the way. We decided to give it a try.

We found fish on the drop-offs right out front of the docks. They were easy to catch on our drop-shot rigs rigged with 3 inch twister tail grubs, the biggest problem being difficulty casting and reeling due to ice in our line guides and the hard time we had staying on the ledges in the wind. Unfortunately, the ratio of keepers to shorts was something like 20:1.

We were thinking of looking elsewhere when Mike Benjamin came down to check out his boat. He was nice enough to tell us about a spot where he found fish yesterday. We didn't have to go far. When we pulled up I marked fish on the sonar in 20 feet. (Twenty was obviously our lucky number today.) I think our first five fish were keepers. There were still a few shorts in the mix, but we had a couple pushing 14 inches. It didn't take long to land a limit for two (another 20). Obviously, Mike knows his stuff. Considering the weather and the drive we were facing, we pulled off way before dark and left them biting. I'm amazed at the number and quality of fish right now. I hope to get in a few more gold rush trips if it doesn't ice up too quickly.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Glad to see you guy's got into some fish. It was very cold on the water today, however it didn't stop the fish from eating.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Great FF pic Shawn...man coach looks frozen!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Good looking fish Shawn and Rich. No wonder those fish are so deep, 28.8* on the surface eh? Jamie's right, Rich looks COLD! I see you have the phone booth curtains up!

·
Registered
14,613 Posts
Die hards.:yes: I was going to say you were crazy for fishing in those conditions but I was up a tree Tuesday in 19 degree weather.:eek2: The passion for our sport keeps us going:thumbup: Nice fish............Gary

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Man, you guys earned every fish that you caught today! We had ice in the guides up there last Monday as well. I sat at home today by the stove all day and was only out a few minutes to feed the critter in the barn. I did go out in the garage and put a weight on the new rod that I bought to go with the reel I got for Christmas just to see how sensitive it was and how it would handle different weights-I sure wanted to go fishing and had thought about going tomorrow, but the forecast is windy and cold on the docks and cozy and warm by the stove so I think the stove wins!

JLN

·
Registered
442 Posts
I should have been smiling in that picture. The fishing was that good today. Only thing that got cold today was my right hand from taking off fish. But now that I think about it, it must have been cold today, first time I can ever remember Shawn not drinking a beer while we were fishing. That doesn't happen very often. Artic Armour might not be water proof, but it was great on a cold day. Rich

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When it came to fishing, Rich was red hot. I think I had five keepers to his fifteen. I wanted to quit before he did, not because it was so cold but because I couldn't take the humiliation any more.

PS: The beer was frozen.

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
nice job fellas, was hoping to give it a go this AM despite the poor weather however my youngest had other plans....there will be plenty of other days I guess.

TIGHT LINES!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yellow Perch'in. Good eats! Been many years since I caught nice perch. Use to go to Erie. You could keep 60 each which was easy once you found them but they weren't that nice! Nice perch, real nice. Thanks for the report.

Bill

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Shawn, Mike was planning on fishiung yesterday but did not. I don't know if he cancelled his trip or the folks he was taking cancelled. I think he is planning on going today for a while.

Nice going on catching. Gold Rush does seem like a good name for this fishery. I just hope it does't fizzle out like the real gold rush, by relaxing restrictions on the commercial fishery. It seems like there is plenty for all. It just goes to show what a little managing of a fishery can do.

Don't forget your YP survey.

Ele

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Nice post Shawn :clapping2:. I can't wait to get back up there ma damn self. Sending a hi five out to Mike too for putting you on em :high5:.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Nice work - i got up there for a while on saturday...........action is fast and furious when you get on them!!!!! Planning to eat my first yellow perch tonight for dinner.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Good report, Shawn. I think we were fishing the same area Saturday as you ended up on Sunday. Those fish were stacked.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts