Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone looking for a awesome custom built LTJ stick I would recommend calling Steve F of Backyard Custom Rods & repair.
I wanted a custom Split Grip for jigging,Top- Water..etc and the rod Steve came up with is now my fav go to rod for jigging,extremely light, sensitive and plenty backbone to bring in the big ones plus it looks great.

Its hard to get a decent shot of a fishing rod but I included a pic to give a idea of the nice work he does.I paired it up with a Shimano 1500 Sahara and that balanced it out perfect .

Steve Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have a customized LTJ stick from Steve as well. I have it paired with a Shimano Stradic Ci4 2500. Shout out to SK for turning me on to that reel. Deadly combination for sure. It has the sensitivity to detect an extremely light yellow perch bump in 35 degree water, is my favorite Croaker rod, and last year at Cape Henlopen I caught 7 flounder with it in a few hours. Needless to say it works great with up to a 2 oz jig head and a 10 inch BKD for the cows as well.

The problem I now have is to try to figure out what to do with the other 10 rods in the basement that are just collecting dust, lol.

Tim

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Roger,
Thank you so much for the plug and yes that split grip really did come out nice. I’m working on one right now and it’s a 7’er. That new MT red really does pop when it’s in the sunlight. Glad you like that rod and I hope to see you using it on the Bay very soon.

Marcus and Tim thank you for the plug as well and Tim I hope you can use that rod this coming week for some flounder.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You bet Steve,ant nothing but the truth.BTW... I will be out there tomorrow , hope to put a bend in it!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have several rods by steve and they are top notch. Also talked him into putting together a tuna jigging rod that I can't wait to test out. He sure builds some nice rods.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Chris, I worked on yours last night and boy is this one coming out nice. I hope you get back on your feet soon the catching is about to get started.

Andy, I can’t wait for you to get that rod out so you can give me a good report on it. I just built myself one just likes yours but I will be using it for tog…

·
Registered
221 Posts
I gotta have one , how much do they cost?
Anything that is sensative enought to detect a perch bite in the winter they go jig for cows in the spring has to be a awsome rod..

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
I used one of Steve's rods to jig up some big fish this year. He used a super nice blank on this thing.

Very tough.
Pax, Tough is right. Last year I hooked a 100# shark on a 20# spinning outfit while jigging an offshore wreck. After about 45 minutes I just wanted the fight over and maxxed out the drag and put some heat on the fish. I thought for sure the line or rod would break, the rod tip was in the water. Everything held and we got the shark to the boat. Great blanks.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
I gotta have one , how much do they cost?
Anything that is sensative enought to detect a perch bite in the winter they go jig for cows in the spring has to be a awsome rod..
Can't really give you a cost on a rod until I find out with length you would like. I use the Batson blanks and they have great sensitivity and have the ass too. If your interested give me a call and we can talk about one.

Jack I told you they are not built for sharks…By the way I found the rod for you for those tog…..I'm finishing up on mine tonight and I really like the spiral wrap for these tog rods.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Steve:

You still using spring-steel blanks?:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Love the 6-6 B-caster you made me way back when. It did the trick last time out at the CCNPP.

May be in the market for a split grip 6-6 Med, fast action spinner. Can you build with X-fast blank?

MG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts