Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been battling this one since December. I've broken down a couple of times while fishing and although I've been able to drain the carbs and get her going it still is driving me crazy. I've got a hundred gallon gas tank and filled her up before laying her up over the last 2 months. I've drained and changed the racor many times. I'm still getting a separation in the clear fuel bowl on the bottom of the filter. Maybe I'm not draining it enough. I've added some type of enzyme which is suppose to combine to "burn water" but I still was able to suck enough bad fuel into the carbs so she stopped and wouldn't start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
You might want to find one of the portable "gas-filter" services that are new to the market. They bring a truck to you and pump all your fuel out & it's filtered before putting it back into your tank. Not sure of the cost/time involved, but has been mentioned several times on TF and here in the VA Beach area since the E10 emergence last summer.

If you used Statron, or a similar product, hopefully you used the "shock" treatment? Is your fuel water separator rated at 10 micron vice the standard 21/28 micron that used to be the standard. Additionally, is your fuel filter cleaned/changed regularly as well?

Evan.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Have you raplaced your separator? I have the same type and you still need to replace the filter after time. I'd try replacing it and draing several time while out in the boat. I use a plastic 1 letter bottle to draain it into. Run the tank as low as you can before filling up again. By using a plastic bottle you can see the amount of water its removing and you should notice it becomming less and less each time. When I switched over to the E10 gas had had alot of water and it took a couple of tanks to get it out of the system.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Call these guys, talk to Lee. Did my tank a couple weeks ago. Excellent job. I have a 100 gallon tank also, $335 plus mileage depending on where you are. Got all kinds of **** out of the tank and about 2 pints of water. Worth every penny for the piece of mind. The truck says deisel and hydraulic but they do gasoline engines as well. Let me know if you have any questions

Filter was white when they started

·
Registered
12 Posts
According to a friend (Volvo engineer) the new gas looses octane rapidly.
Best advice? When they pump it out let them keep it. Cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It sounds like you might be experincing phase seperation which is caused when gas that contains ethonal is allowed to sit to long.The residue that is left in the bottom of your tank is not burnable and will clog up your engine.
Some of the engine manufacturers recomend that you only put enough fuel in your boat as what you can burn with in 30 days.In the past we use to recomend to our customers to fill thier tanks while letting them sit now adays that will cause your tank to draw moisture into it.
As for your carbs you should drain the gas out when left to sit for more than 30 days. Yamaha recommends using a fuel additive called Ringfree. You may want to check with your local dealer about what to do once you have this problem taken care of to prevent future ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts