Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fishing truck is out of action. My truck is a 2001 Toyota. A few days ago the handle on the driver side broke. Can't open that door. This morning I thought I was going fishing, buy the handle on passenger side broke. I can't get in my truck. I already ordered a handle for the first door that broke at the auto shop in town. Now I can't get the truck to the shop to get it fixed. The auto shop is closed on Sat. Got to wait until Mon. to find out what to do. How to get truck to shop. Has this ever happen to you? Both doors, just my luck.

·
Premium Member
26,151 Posts
Does it have a sliding rear window ? Often these are very easy to jimmy open with no damage - then have someone thin crawl through.

·
Premium Member
26,151 Posts
Can you post a close up photo of what is left of handle ?

I'm thinking you might be able to get at the linkage that opens the latch - but photo would help greatly.

Bent needle nose pliers are likely needed for what I'm thinking will work.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Man! That's some hard luck. Not only has that never happened to me, but i've never even heard of that happening to someone.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Andy have you tried using a coat hangar to pull the door open using the inside handle. 27 sailfish has a good idea also even if you have to damage the handle that needs to be replaced. If you need help call me 410-482-8988 I am not doing anything tomorrow I could probably give you a hand , don't have internet at home.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Andy have you tried using a coat hangar to pull the door open using the inside handle. 27 sailfish has a good idea also even if you have to damage the handle that needs to be replaced. If you need help call me 410-482-8988 I am not doing anything tomorrow I could probably give you a hand , don't have internet at home.
Really nice of you to offer help, but I don't think there is anything we could do. I think I have to wait fof Danny's Auto Shop to open Monday. He already ordered the first handle that broke a few days ago, and they are going to fix it. So you live close to me?? Where do you live? Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
26,151 Posts
My mistake - I thought the handle itself snapped off. Now I understand it is behind the handle. I'll bet the plastic connection in linkage broke - design flaw on many doors.

The new handle will come with the trim piece so you can drill / cut the old handle apart to get inside to the linkage.

I'll say the linkage will pull up to open door so that will be easy to grab with pliers.

What area is truck at ? I have to run some errands tomorrow. Can't imagine it taking 30 minutes to get door open. Likely even rig up something so you can open / close it until new handle is put on.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My mistake - I thought the handle itself snapped off. Now I understand it is behind the handle. I'll bet the plastic connection in linkage broke - design flaw on many doors.

The new handle will come with the trim piece so you can drill / cut the old handle apart to get inside to the linkage.

I'll say the linkage will pull up to open door so that will be easy to grab with pliers.

What area is truck at ? I have to run some errands tomorrow. Can't imagine it taking 30 minutes to get door open. Likely even rig up something so you can open / close it until new handle is put on.
My truck is in the driveway at ----------------

·
Premium Member
26,151 Posts
Ouch - I'm real close to BWI airport. Thought you were in Baltimore area.

I looked on line at some Toyota door handle replacement videos. You might want to watch 1-2 to get idea what you need to get to.

I know it is scary drilling / cutting away the old handle but that might be only way to access the linkage. Go slow so as not to damage door. Might have to remove old handle in 3-4 pieces.

One other idea - if the truck has regular handles inside - is to gently pry the side window or door so you can try to grab handle with strong wire. Once you get it pried open - push a shim in so you can work the wire. It will take a few tries to get bends just right - be patient with trail / error. Might be easier to go for the one opposite side you are on - so you can see better.

Older trucks this was easy - handle was straight - almost like boat cleat. Loop in wire made it easy to grab. Newer models have an anti thief type handle - not sure when style changed.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ouch - I'm real close to BWI airport. Thought you were in Baltimore area.

I looked on line at some Toyota door handle replacement videos. You might want to watch 1-2 to get idea what you need to get to.

I know it is scary drilling / cutting away the old handle but that might be only way to access the linkage. Go slow so as not to damage door. Might have to remove old handle in 3-4 pieces.

One other idea - if the truck has regular handles inside - is to gently pry the side window or door so you can try to grab handle with strong wire. Once you get it pried open - push a shim in so you can work the wire. It will take a few tries to get bends just right - be patient with trail / error. Might be easier to go for the one opposite side you are on - so you can see better.

Older trucks this was easy - handle was straight - almost like boat cleat. Loop in wire made it easy to grab. Newer models have an anti thief type handle - not sure when style changed.
(Got good news, my Daughter's boy friend came over and had the door open in about two minutes. He showed me how to open. I have to use my finger and left something in there. I don't know how to explain it, but it works. Now I can go fishing tomorrow, and take truck to shop when part comes in. Thanks!!)

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Glad you were able to gain access. Might be a good idea to remove the posted address. Nothing good can happen by having it online. Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Really nice of you to offer help, but I don't think there is anything we could do. I think I have to wait fof Danny's Auto Shop to open Monday. He already ordered the first handle that broke a few days ago, and they are going to fix it. So you live close to me?? Where do you live? Thanks!!
Yes, Goldsboro was down, Marsyhope last weekend
,but had no luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts