Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the boat over to Advance Marine to get the motor serviced monday morning. Capt. Wayne saw me on the road and followed me in to chat for awhile while the work was be'n done. Ron(Onefish) stoped in to buy some supplies for his boat as the work was be'n completed. After I paid for the service, I started back to Breezy to drop off the boat. Going around the S turn, about 1/8 mi from the shop, my rt trailer tire slipped off the road surface into a 6-8" pot hole. I guess that put some pressure on the left wheel because the axle sheared off at the spindle and the tire and wheel rolled off into the woods. That caused my trailer to drop down on the road but the fender got in the way. well, the fender couldn't support the trailer and boat so it bent up into the hull of my boat. the trailer finally came to rest on the trailer frame which plowed a nice groove into the pavement for about 15'.:(
The reason i started this thread was not to report my folly, but rather the responce to it.:)
About this time, Ron happens along and gets out of his car to dirrect traffic. Rich(Advance Marine) comes by, towing boats to the Bmore show, agrees to stop by Shady Side Towing to send them down with a flatbed. He also calls Jerry at the shop who comes up to help. Frank, from Sandpiper, and some guys from Back Yard Boats also offer to help. When the tow truck arrives, Jerry went back to clear a space for my boat while it was being loaded.
I guess the point I'm try'n to make is that here I am,. 1 1/2 hrs from home, in another state, broken down, and the first person I see is a friend who stops to help. Then, about every other car that passes is someone I know or an offer to help.
I feel proud to be a part of this fishing and boating community and a member of Tidalfish.com. What a great bunch of people-------------:)

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Leon, Bummer about the trailer, but you got it right about the fishing community. It's great to part a group like these guys.

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
Hell of a way to start the day.Glad it wasn't alot more damage.My opinion of the world is 99% of the people are good hearted and willing to help.It's that F ed up 1 % that makes us forget all the good ones out there.Hope it's an easy fix.Good luck-you out of state er you.:D Skip

·
Registered
477 Posts
WOW Leon that really sucks, but so glad so many were available to lend a hand. You know if I wasn't working I would have been happy to help you out.
If you need anything let me know
and I agree this is a great family of people :D

Benny

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,747 Posts
HOMETom Hughes Guide ServiceSusquehanna Flats Photo Gallery
Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide
Leon: There are plenty good people in Shady Side and the surrounding area.

I can't say enough good things about Rich from Advanced Marine. He's helped me out more than once. Good luck with the repairs on your trailer and boat.

Capt. Tom Hughes
Full Time Light Tackle & Fly Fishing Guide
Booking Trips on the Susquehanna Flats

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Sorry about your trailer, Leon. Guess the only thing worse would have been to be on the Wilson Bridge at rush hour and have 50,000 angry commuters giving you the salute as they passed. :D Glad you got a lot of help - great group of people here for sure - that's why I enjoy TF so much.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
439 Posts
Sorry about all the problems Leon....first the truck now the boat. Hope it all works out ok. and I agree with you about the board!!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Man, Sorry About Your Ordeal

Leon, I'm, sorry to hear about you ordeal, put it in the category of "Sh!t Happens"!! Doesn't surprise me that you received all the help that just happened by, all those guys you mentioned are super people. You didn't mention who was driving the tow truck from Shadyside Towing but it was probably Lloyd and they don't come any better then him either. Best of luck getting your rig repaired if you need an accident report to give to your insurance company let me know. Shoot me an e-mail with your number if I can help.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Humm........Mental note: Leon hits deer with truck and his trailer falls apart at inopportune times:D

Good things come to good people:)

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
sorry about the trailer issues, I'll second what a great group of men and women we have here on TF.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Hey Leon,

glad to be able to help out. I was in the office with Thelma when you called.

In case you don't know, boat/us, sea tow, your car ins, etc might have trailer coverage that might help you out with the tow $.

PS - I think the slicks are forward, but I'll try to check tonite.

Good luck with the trailer/cat.
:)

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Leon --- What are you trying to do -- Duplicate my feat of hitting the curb in CB last spring? I was a little luckier in as much as I was able to drag my rig into the Fishing Creek parking lot. Glad you got all the help --- Way to go guys ^_^

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Pretty much agree with everyone, that sucks man. You are one lucky guy to have as many friends too. Sez something for you wouldn't ya think. ;)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Sorry to hear about "Miss Kitty". My buddy and I just put down a payment for a new Triumph. Should be here soon, we would love to have you HO on our boat and teach us about the power plant in Feb/Mar. And I still have the disc I promised, never made it to Breezy once the "Knot Gay" was up for sale. Mark

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Sorry to hear about your boat,that kind of thing could happen to any of us at anytime.Ditto about TFer's a great bunch of people and I have met a few in just the short time being a member here.
Finding positive thing's in a other wise bad situation ,says allot about yourself.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everybody for all the replies and kind words. I don't disagree with anything mentioned here:) .

Benny- Next time i plan on get'n in trouble, I'll make sure your not working so you can help. thanx:eek:
Tom- I agree. Rich has always done me right.;)
aafinest- Thanks for the offer of an accident report. we still havn't figured out which insurance policy covers the trailer. It was Lloyd in the tow truck. great guy.;)
Seahunter- you say'n I'm a bad person???????????:D
Onefish- Thanks again, Ron. The slicks will have to waite.
Wiley Old Coot- the Suzuki was just get'n its 100 hr service. Never had a peep of trouble w/it.
Bottom Knocker- Boat just has cosmedic surface (gelcoat) damage as far as i can see. will know better when we can get the fender out of the way.
merogers- I'd be glad to HO with ya this spring.SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Leon, let me know when you are going to repair/replace the axel, I probably have all the tools, some of my Sundays are busy but Mondays look open. John

1 - 20 of 27 Posts