Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I posted this on the fly fishing board, but figured everyone here might enjoy this report as well, I heard it was cold up there, this should warm you up.

After the spectacular Striped Bass fishing down at the CBBT I headed to some warmer weather here in the Bahamas. I have been down here for over a week now. My friend Tom M has a 74' Viking called the Makara and we put a Mavrick flats boat on the front so when we cruise around the islands we can hit the flats and explore the place ourselves. I started my journey at the Makara's home port in Palm Beach, FL last Sunday. From there we headed to Chub Cay where we have been since then. We were here in September because we heard of the new marina, the good tuna fishing as well as the hint of some very big bonefish. We found all those things and we are back.

The bonefishing here is nothing less them spectacular and we have hit the flat just about every day except for Thursday, Friday and Saturday when we took the big boat out and fished the First Annual Chub Cay Billfish Tournament. The first day we raised one white and lost it. We filled in the day landing a bunch of bull dolphin to about 25 pounds and a fw wahoo bit us off. The next day we raised one white and one blue marlin. It was wild, but we could not get them hooked up. We again filled in the day between those bites with some bigger dolphin to 35lbs, some peanuts that we tagged and had some fun with on the fly and light tackle. The final day we managed to finally hook up a blue marlin that was around 300lbs. He made four BIG jumps and then we had him on for about another minute or so and he spit the hook. It was disappointing, but pretty exciting while it all lasted.

On the bonefishing side of things, the place is one of the best I have ever experienced in the world, that includes the Seychelles where we saw some huge fish. I am not sure there are little bones here and if there are they allude us. Most all the fish we see are 5-12lbs. I have plenty of pics and video to show. Right now I am sitting out in a whipping breeze taking someones net connection, so I just give a quick report from today. We saw tons of fish, all big. We fished from about 10am-4pm on an outgoing tide. Tom had the really hot hand today and landed 2 consecutive fish for about 19lbs of bonefish. One was about 12lbs and the other 7lbs. Crazy good time. We did have about an hour and a half detour getting home because we got caught on a super low tide and had to push the boat for a few miles. Exploring and learning the flats on these islands is super fun and also gets you in shape :)

I will post more pics and video when I get back. Not sure when that will happen, I heard it is snowing back in MD and I am in no hurry to give up that weather for this:) I will sign off and leave you with the picture below to give you an idea of the size of the fish here.

Brandon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I really feel sorry for you. But I guess someone has to do it. Those Bahamian bonefish are a real experience.;)
Tight lines,

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John. You should feel sorry for me, I had to put a sweatshirt on to sit out here and type tonight :)

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Now that's what I call a great report. I'll be down in that neck of the woods next week no Bonefish but Tarpon and Sails are on the menu. Keep catching and don't get to sunburn.:)

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Hank

The fish are waiting for you down here! Unfortunately there is a big front coming at the end of the week and we are going to head home. No interest in 10-12ft seas ride back through the gulfstream. Big boat or not that ride can be narley.

Where are you headed? Florida or here in the Bahamas?

Brandon

G

·
All of a sudden, my weekend dissappointment in you has turned to pure jealousy. Pay backs are hell, I'll be in Islamorada for two weeks in March, when I can hopefully return the favor. Your not flying over the Bermuda Triangle on the way home, by any chance are you ?:p

·
Registered
987 Posts
I will be down in Chub Cay in April for a little Marlin/Wahoo R & R
Got a week long charter booked, Can't wait
Can't wait to see the rest
Thanks

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Crow...man, you are relentless!! Nice meeting you at the show.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice to hear someones not freezing their butt off. Just wondering when you are catching those large bonefish, i.e. > 4lbs, are they in groups of two or three , or are they in big schools? Also what sort of flies are doing it in that area? Last time I went I tried a bunch but
the meko's special seemed to work well.

Jason

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool Hank. I heard the sail bite has been on around Palm Beach area, so it should be good in Miami as well. I will be looking for your reports.

I am out of here in the morning, but I am not staying north too long with that cold weather. Will be heading back to FL hopefully in the next two weeks to hit some big Spanish on the fly and then in the middle of Feb back here to the Bahamas to tag some big dolphin for a dolphin tagging program we are supporting. Probably heading to Highborne Cay for that, although I think we will have to make another quick stop here at Chub to hit these bones. I hooked a 12lb+ today. Ate right in front of me and the boat's mate Billy. Amazing, ripped a ton of line off and I had him for about 5 min and then he broke me off on a coral head in the deeper water. That is the bad news, good news is we got plenty of 6,7 and 8lbers today. Also got Billy his first bonefish on the fly, a nice 6 pounder. He ate about 10 feet in front of us, it was fun to help him and watch and even more fun to see the smile on Billy's face when he hooked up and the reel started screaming. He is an amazing offshore fisherman for a guy who is 27, but has never had one fly casting lesson or anything and really never picked up a fly rod. We gave him a fly rod yesterday and by today he had his first bone on the fly. I think he is just gifted, his family owns Ande Fishing Line so he did grow up with a rod in his hand since he could grip it and he literally fishes every single day, if not with us, then on his own. I will post a pic of him with the fish when I get back.

We also tried to chum up some sharks and had them all around, but they were too smart and would not bite, but it was fun to watch and we shot some cool video.

Guess I need to find a jacket for when I land tomorrow :(

Brandon

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Brandon I hope I have some of the same. I love it down there you never know what your going to have on the end of your line in the blue water. Your right the Sailfish bite along with the Tarpon bite has been red hot from Jupiter down to the Keys. Hopefully each year I'll spend more of the winter down south. I just hate leaving here when the bite is still good in VB. But there haven't been many windows of oppurtunity the last week and a half with the way the temps have been dropping and the wind blowing. Next year I'll get a boat for Fl. I've been looking at the 22' Pathfinder so I can get in the skinny especially on the west coast and can easily tow to the Gulfstream when conditions are right. Hopefully I'll have some good post's next week. I need to try for some of those Bones in Biscayne Bay. Happy Fishing and I can't wait to see some of the video.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Glad to see someone is fishing. After loosing half my blood it is a slow recoup. Hank you would love the Pathfinder 22, the perfect Florida boat, goes skinny and on the right days you can fish offshore with the big guys.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Steve, please send me Bmail update on your condidtion.. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Threw all of my Aleive away yesterday... Not going through what you are.... Can I borrow the Pathfinder for two weeks ?:eek: :eek: :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts