Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys .. thinking about launching from jordan point next week for a change of pace .. i've fished deep bottom and osbourne all year and i'm getting pretty bored with it

problem is i've never had to get bait around jordan point so i have no clue .. i thought i heard people mentioning herring creek to get it but i dunno where that is

any pointers here or via pm on bait around jordan point would be MUCH appreciated!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If your bored try the ramp at Dutch Gap. It sounds pretty exciting there. Buzzards trying to tear your truck apart and people trying to steal your sterio. What could be more exciting than that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok ok bored wasn't the right word .. i enjoy catching fish and pretty well knowing where they are/should be

but i want to learn more of the river and try new places

besides i like my truck the way it is [grin]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I hope someone knows and will help you out. I wish I knew. I would like to catch some bait down river as well. I want to go down and fish Sturgeon and get me a big fish.

Good luck when you go. Get us some more pics!

Dayton

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i've heard there is bait in the creeks but i dont' know if its stays there during the winter

besides that if i go there and there isn't bait there then i have to go allllll the day the heck back up to prequille

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
tank,

I have seen bait caught off the southwest corner of the bridge, closer to the bridge than that little island. maybe 50 feet off the bridge and 30 feet off the shore? been awhile. motor through there and look for obstructions (and bait) first. I lost a net throwing too close to the bridge. herring creek is about mile down river on the other side from jordan point. gets very shallow as you approach the mouth (and all along that shore) so maybe the shad are around there just like they often seem to be around other mud flat areas? I don't know. I still see 'downriver' diehards collecting their bait up closer to the regualr locations though. of course I hit the river far less than most of you, even less and less lately, so my advice is only of marginal use.

oh yeah, jordan point has a bad reputation for vandalism. And the parking situation and tight ramp access is a pita too. I personally would use Hopewell ramp and just ride the extra mile downriver. I would think the mouth of the appomatox would hold a lot of bait with the channel and adjacent flats but do not recall ever seeing anyone throwing a net. Doesn't mean they are not there.

Cabin fever is hitting hard and I am really itching to get out again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
never been to hopewell but i may just launch there

how much is it to launch there?

anyone have directions to there from 295?

personally i think i'd rather ride that extra mile as well especially if i end up going to prequille for bait anyway

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hopewell is easy. Hit 295 to RT. 10. You choose the Hopewell direction (as opposed to Chester), Can't be more than 3 miles you go over the Rt. 10 Appomatox river. The marina/ramp is right below the bridge. Start slowing down as you cross the bridge and be in the right lane. At the other side of the bridge is a right turn lane, take it, you will go around and down. At the stop sign you are looking at the marina parking lot.

Sign reads
Residents: $3.00
Non Residents: $5.00

Sign doesn't explain, so I just assume it means VA resident so I pay the $3. [grin]

Nice protected ramp. Under the bridge and you can see the James. Follow the channel markers on out. Lots of flats there, might have some bait. Many of us have caught bait directly across the river from the ramp. Nice shallow flat up against the weeds. But, I don't remember ever catching them there in the winter, but maybe.

Good luck, and don't fish either bridge in the Appomatox! Wouldn't want these guys getting mad at ya![grin]

Good luck. It is a quick run to Presquile from there.

Dayton

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
1,292 Posts
supposedly some guy had his arm cut off when he strayed outside the channel marker right where the appomatox meets the james. so heed dayton's advice about those channel markers. could be an urband legend but i heard he cut the corner heading back in from the james and the skeg struck hard bottom. the whole motor pivoted back up and around and the spinning prop came down on the guy's shoulder.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Yea, be careful down there.

Don't stop at the Last House on the Left.
Don't ask directions from the guy in the hockey mask.
The guy with the knife blades on his fingers is not there to cut bait.
The dude with the running chain saw at 1am is not a logger.
If you hear the floating dock say "Get Out!".....do it.
Smokey figures that resemble Indians on horseback, galloping down the river is just mist. It is okay.
The Classic Black convertible circleing the parking lot without a driver, playing the song, "Hey there Little Red Riding Hood" is just the sweeper cleaning up.

Hopewell is a marvelous town. Wish they had Buzzards.

Dayton
[tongue]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks dayton!

i guess what you're saying is dont' talk to anybody, don't do anything but get my butt out to the james as quick as possible .. following channel markers of course

i'll especially remember not to talk to you .. i've heard you are far worse than knife fingers man!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Actually, I was just making fun of Wasabi. There is nothing wrong with Hopewell, day or night. It is a decent place. Even has a good pole light on all night.

But yea, I can be trouble.

Dayton

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i followed

i'm pretty sure a guy named dayton can't be more dangerous than a guy that has knives for fingers [grin]

anywho thanks again!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
ITS REALLY HARD FOR ME TO BELIEVE Y'ALL DONT KNOW WHERE TO GET BAIT AS MANY EYES THAT WERE ON EBERWIEN TODAY, I MYSELF COULDA CHECKED ID'S ON 3 BOATS THAT FOLLOWED US UP THE CREEK TO GET BAIT AND A 1/2 DOZEN OTHER PEOPLE ON THE PHONE HE TOLD WHERE TO GO GET BAIT- THAT CHRIS IS A RIGHT NICE FELLA.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
why don't you inform us?

if he's telling everyone under the sun and letting people follow him around i'm sure he won't mind .. i'm all ears

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
LIKE I SAID IN MY POST- I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE Y'ALL CALL WHAT. I DONT LIVE UP THERE, WE USED A GPS MAPPING SYSTEM TO GET US TO THE BOAT RAMP FROM THE HOTEL. STRIPER JOE SAID AT THE RAMP HE GOT HIS BAIT FROM A GUY WHO GOT HIS BAIT FROM A GUY THAT GOT BAIT AT DEEP BOTTOM BOAT BASIN WHERE A GIRL WAS THROWING A CAST NET ? DOES THAT RING A BELL, DEEP BOTTOM ?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
deep bottom is not an option from jordan point

where ya from?

at least you get to come here to do some fishin!

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
i live at the ocean front and the other 2 guys with me, 1 drove down from New York and the other is from Pennsylvania

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
SAME HERE - IF I WAS GONNA FISH AROUND HERE AT HOME I DRIVE EVERY MORNING 25 MILES TO G0 GET BAIT WITH MY CAST NET......THEN COME HOME AND HOOK UP THE BOAT AND GO.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts