Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read an article in the new Florida SportFishing magazine about a couple of different dyes used on ballyhoo and mackerel. Seems like a decent idea, just curious if anyone has tried it. Not sure how much of an effect the different colored baits have but nonetheless it looked interesting.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Interesting. I've died squid for swordfishing in different colors, don't think it made any difference. In fact, no dye, natural color I think has gotten more hits for me. I thought the general idea was your seawitch gave you ballyhoo the color to try to match the hatch. And a seawitch can be switched out with different colors on the fly once you figure out what works. Once you dye a ballyhoo, you're kind of stuck with that color unless you dye a bunch with each primary color which at the end of the day you would have a bunch of leftover dyed ballyhoo. But I'm all up for trying new things if it gets just one more bite....that is if I have any money left over after filling up my gas tank.

·
Registered
286 Posts
works like a charm for trolled sqiuds or putting one on the back of my teaser chains. i regularly fish one behind my teaser and cant keep fish off of it. red becomes a dark pink/red color and is perhaps my most deadly pitch bait. in fact it works so well, due to being so slick as snot and soft, that if they miss is it - they come right back. for sure the most deadly bait in my arsenal and is the #1 forage bait for all pelagics. talk about match the hatch. at night drifting, cant beat a live one, and for swords they are all natural (no dye).
just my experience and two cents left for fuel

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.