Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use lures all the time, but I would like to try bait now and then. When I was living on Kent Island I caught my own bait. I could net grass shrimp, or catch minnows in my back yard. Now I live in Federalsburg, and there is no bait shops around. Anyone know the closes place that sells grass shrimp. or minnows? I don't think there are grass shrimp in the marshy Hope creek in the Marina in Federalsburg. Is it? Might have to buy a shrimp net and check that out. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
You should get a roller net with small mesh for grass shrimp. At least during warmer weather you should be able to find some tidal areas with vegetation you can roll through and catch grass shrimp. Even roadside drainage ditches that have tidal influence may hold shrimp in warmer weather. I do not know about catching them in the colder months, they are probably not available.

If you find good shrimping and catch a pint or a quart or so you can chum with live grass shrimp and have white perch boiling on the surface near good structure--it can be a hoot and you also bring in stripers and other stuff--its a great way to turn kids on to some hot fishing.

The response to a grass shrimp on a shad dart (or a jig w/ a small twister tail or BA and grass shrimp) can be amazing when tossed in an area you are chumming live grass shrimp.

Way back in the day some folks chummed with grass shrimp for stripers and weakfish (sea trout)....

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Live bait can be tough to find in colder months. Not as many people are fishing like years ago and bait shops have to be careful on what they carry. Easy to go in the red when bait dies before being sold.

I know some hard core winter fishermen buy live minnows on line and keep them in their basement in aquariums.

Watch for Blue Herons when fishing - they often are where minnows gather. Worth setting a minnow trap or two.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
IN the good old Peoples Republic of Maryland, it seems to be illegal to set a minnow trap unless you own waterfront property or attach it to a boat. From the DNR regulations book:

Bait Traps
•Must be marked with the individual’s name and address or DNRid number
•Must be checked daily
•Must be set within 100 feet of an individual’s private property
•Must either be attached to the property or private pier/dock, or marked by a buoy or pole with a sign, or attached to a boat that is not docked
•May not be used in any trout management area
•Only one may be used by each individual

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andy I live in Goldsboro if interested pm me often fish by myself welcome to join me . Bass fishing, rockfish topwater , and pond
Thanks! thank for the offer. I'll keep that in mind. I fished a lot in the winter and spring way up to your area. Use to put boat in ,I think it was called Greensboro boat ramp. Caught a lot of winter crappie, gills, and bass. Every now and then even in winter a rock or two, jigging straight down in the trees that fell in the water. Thanks Guys for all the good Info.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
steveL, . Thanks Steve, that is some very good Info. I lived and fished out of Kent Island for about 30 years. I use to net grass shrimp and trap minnows and trade for fishing tackle in the tackle shops. My question was/is wonder if there is grass shrimp that far up the Marshy Hope Creek. When I was young we could get a load of grass shrimp off the wood in Sandy Point Boat Ramp area. I didn't, but my friend use to stop there and bring them over to kent Island to fish with me. Yes you can still net grass shrimp in the cold weather. We used grass shrimp when thin ice was around. But everything you said was right, and good Info. You know where I can buy bait not too far from Federalsburg MD. ? Like I said, I might buy a shrimp net and scrape the wood in our marina. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
http://www.chesapeakebay.net/maps/map/chesapeake_bay_mean_surface_salinity_spring_1985_2006

Grass shrimp need at least brackish water-no less than about 3+ parts per thousand, so to find shrimp it looks like you need to head downriver or move over to the Choptank watershed in areas with more salinity than the area near Federalsburg.

Look for areas that show at least 5-10 ppt in the graphic above (the light orange or yellow areas).

I have no local knowledge of that area so I can't help with bait stores.

I have really enjoyed your fishing reports--nothing beats a good perch jerkin report!

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.chesapeakebay.net/maps/map/chesapeake_bay_mean_surface_salinity_spring_1985_2006

Grass shrimp need at least brackish water-no less than about 3+ parts per thousand, so to find shrimp it looks like you need to head downriver or move over to the Choptank watershed in areas with more salinity than the area near Federalsburg.

Look for areas that show at least 5-10 ppt in the graphic above (the light orange or yellow areas).

I have no local knowledge of that area so I can't help with bait stores.

I have really enjoyed your fishing reports--nothing beats a good perch jerkin report!
Thanks Steve!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts