Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support Tidal Fish
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new shimano bait caster which regulates everything. Got a backlash on release problem? Just adjust this nob. Got a free spool on landing problem, just adjust 6 little weights inside the spool!

No bail to play with, etc. Does anyone have any practical experience on the pro's and con's of gigging and casting with spinning vs. bait-casting setups? I'm using both. However, the latest Shimano Bait-casters take 30 lb line and are sweet! The seven foot solid blank casting rod is as accurate as Tiger in a major!

Captrichie

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have a Shimano Calcutta baitcaster spooled with 15lb line- It took some getting use to to avoid the old birds nest- there was a adjustment knob that allowed to losen tension on spool that I played with until I found the right setting- Play with it for a while and just let your thumb ride the line to keep a little resistance on it- good luck

Scott

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
BC's are great for vertical jigging and usually have better drags than spinning reels. On windy days they suck for casting at least for me, but here the spinning outfit excels. Both have their role on any given day. Sounds as if you really like this new high-tec stuff and too convince an "ole salt" it must be a good product:yes:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Abu Garcia. I have 2 5000's, a 6500 and a 7000C3. The 5000's have 12#, 6500 15#, 7000C3 25#, all Trilene Big Game clear. I was a spinning guy for years. Then I discovered the Abu's and have been hook since. I've even thrown 8 oz. 100+ yards with the 7000C3 on a Diawa 11'4" graphite surf rod!!!!! For the money, I think Abu's are great reels, IMHO. ;)

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
You're lucky I happened along on the Northern neck board. On the CA board we have debated this subject and have reached the conclusion that real manly men use baitcasters and spin rods are only good for beginning fishermen and ultra-lite baits. But seriously I tend to turn off all the casting control stuff and go with my educated thumb to control overrun and backlashing. You will soon learn that reeling in slack line is the enemy and if you keep some tension on the line on your retreive, backlashs and overruns will go away. I use my spin rods when it really windy, when it's too dark to see my bait hit the water, when it's so cold the spool freezes up and when I'm throwing 1/4-1/2 ounce baits. Other then that I'm a manly man baitcaster and proud of it. I have a few calcutta's and they are really nice, but; right now I like left hand crank low profile baitcasters.

·
Registered
885 Posts
A sensitive thumb is a must regardless of which BC reel you get. When I throw my Abu's it feels like they are part of my arm. Once you get used to them, they are great. I still use spin at times especially with very light tackle.

Ernie

1 - 6 of 6 Posts