Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not fished a level-wind rig since my early teens (long time gone). Hoping to get a recommendation on a good combination between reel and rod. Wanna stick with Shimano as far as the reel goes.

Would be used primarily in the Chesapeake for LTJ and maybe casting plugs and bucktails.

Clues ?

Thanks !!

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother and esteamed fellow manly man baitcaster:
For the price, which has been increasing over the years, I still really like the Shamino Curato baitcaster. I prefer laft hand cranks and the Curado is one of my favorates. I also like my Quantum Cabo PT saltwater baitcaster. It's rugged and has a very smooth ceramic drag system. I also have some Calcuttas which are nice, but; I seem to perfer the low profile baitcasters for all day casting duty. All my LTJ baitcasters are spooled with some sort of superline and 14# Hot Pink Fireline is my preference, but; I'll settle for Flame Green if I have to. For LTJ rods I've had some pretty good luck with BPS Extreme rods in medium and medium-heavy. I've only broken 2 of those, mostly in the winter and early spring when it was cold and the graphite was brittle. Don't buy one until they are on sale, which happens a couple times a year. StCroix's are nice and I've really started to look hard at Falcon rods. Most StCroix and all Falcon rods are Made in the USA.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good positive reinforcement, GB. I was thinking initially of the Calcutta/Falcon match-up. I guess I was pretty close on the first go-round.

What length do you prefer ?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Definately baitcaster with superbraid on 6-1/2' MH able to handle up to 5oz. I like the light weight Shimano 150 as it doubles for bass fishing but a 250 model is plenty of reel and these cast terally smooth.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Calcutta 251 on a Loomis GL3 7' rated up to 1 ounce lures. Light as feather, handles most anything in the bay and is still "sporting" for schoolie bass. Casts far and easy to use.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Skip the levelwind and and get an Avet SX. Once you try one you'll never go back. Calcutta's are nice but Avet's are built to last a lifetime. Plus you can use that little Avet for just about anything that swims. Oh and they are cheaper. Those Falcon rods are nice! I just got the XXH one and its strong and light as a feather.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I,ve got a Abu 7000c3i on a BPS med.-hvy. rod. 20lb. Trilene clear with 40lb floro leader. Smoothest baitcaster I own.

Mark
1999 Sportcraft 230 C/C

·
Registered
66 Posts
Baet rod buy I have found is the Shimano Tallus series lifetime guarantee and I have used that and had rod replaced hassle free, and its the same IM7 blank as a Loomis which Shimano makes ! cost is minimal for a really high quality blank less than $80.00 each and they have all brough over 40" tunnel rock to the boat without incident

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
I have Calcutta`s,Avet SX MX which I like a lot,but the best bang for the buck is a the Abbu`s C3 or C4.I have built rods on Calstar,Lamiglas Loomis,St Croix,Seeker and all of them are good blanks.You can get their factory rods at any quality tackle shop.Most important if you are going to do a lot of verticle jigging make sure the set up is balanced.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I agree that if you whant to spend less than 100$ don;t buy anything but an ABU. They make the only good reels in that price range.

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
I have a ABU Garcia 6500 (red reel) that I am becoming very fond of after abouty 5 seasons of bay and some salt water floundering. It is on a BPS extreme inshore rod. Its light and good drag and inexpensive. I can even cast it pretty good without birdnesting...

Fore the big stuff, I have aPenn 975 I bought lightly used on ebay with a Steve F custom rod that is great. I reccomend hooking up with Steve F for your rod...

MG

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
Russ I have a 6500 C3 and it`s at least 25 year old and zero problems.I do like my Avet`s though,but they are a little heavy if you are planning to verticle jig all day,but great for those doormats.

·
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
What works for me are the 7'6" rods that retract into the handle and are only 6' long for traveling. I also have the small Avit and it's too heavy for all day LTJ casting. It's better suited for ocean work.........IMHO that is.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Eminent Brother,
What works for me are the 7'6" rods that retract into the handle and are only 6' long for traveling. I also have the small Avit and it's too heavy for all day LTJ casting. It's better suited for ocean work.........IMHO that is.
Absotutely GB!!! flipping sticks make great inshore rods. Baitcasters of the World unite!!! How about our own board?:D :D :D

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
For you Abu fans I suggest you look into getting yourself a 6500CS Chrome Rocket before they're gone. I've got 3 of which one will be put away for posterity. They’re great performers (speed bushing, carbontex drags, the works, certainly not your Abu reel of old) and the bling factor is next to none. I looked for a picture but can't find one that does this reel justice.

There are a bunch on e-bay at the moment

·
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
Yes indeed all us manly man baitcasters are deserving of our own board away from those sissy spin rod users. I wouldn't even complain if we included those Abu users. (I'd insert a toung here....if I knew how to do it!!!!)

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Alot of the old Fl salts use the Amb 6500 on a St Croix in these parts. The salt on the Gulf near the worse anywhere. I got one and the SS looks great, only neg was heard it was bought out by a lesser company.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts