Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to upgrade my baistcasting style light tackle reels. Just wondering what most are using, those of you who have a budget, sorry but probably not the guys in the contenders and pursuits for this question.

Thanks

· Registered
8,201 Posts
i'll say - i love my Shimano Calcutta 400S

those ABU's are really all you need tho - I have 4 of them and they will last a lifetime

in the $150 range is a Penn Mag 525 that you can use on a surf rod too and haul in 5ft sharks if need be and the spool/reel is no bigger than a golf ball

· Registered
822 Posts
I have at least one from every manufacturer and would have to say they all feel different. My favorite is still the Millionaire Z (the small one). I have caught everything from .5lb spot to a 40lb black drum (it took my bloodworm) and the drag never failed me and it is smooth.

· Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Guys, thanks for all the reply's. I am much more of weekend warrior.....at best. I really don't get the chance to do that much fishing. Has anyone used the Bass Pro Extreme, I think they make a saltwater version that is just like the freshwater one. The reel I use most of the time is actually a freshwater reel, the Rick Clunn reel with a bionic blade rod just wash it down really good every time I use it and so far no problems. But like I said I don't get to fish that much. But so far I have caught flounder, croakcer, pups, specs, striper, blues, 25 lb Blue cat, countless freshwater fish, and even hooked a small cobia on the Rick Clunn.

· Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
125 Posts
I love my Diawa millionaires. There are several models. They make a sweet level wind that is a little more salt water friendly,gold in color and around $100 .Would also go for the Penn 525 but they are a little pricier. PM me if you would like to try either one.
Daiwa Millionaires, Daiwa Luna as upgrade, ABU's are always in the game.

· Registered
95 Posts
PM me, I am a Pro Staff rep for Team Daiwa Saltwater, I have some 2009 - 2010 reels some (new), and some used one time for testing, that I am parting with. I will be getting this years product in shortly and want to sell them. They are Saltist 20 and 30 Levelwinds.
Ben

· Registered
3,466 Posts
Those c3 are great, but not sure if they are made in Sweden anymore. To me that's important. I would suggest the record reels, RC60's over the c3's, $159 Tackle Direct. Shimano calcuttas are great but overpriced as are all of Shimano's top shelf gear. The rc60's have GREATdrag systems. I've got 5 RC 61's since I'm lefty. Probably the 2nd best reel they make next to the morium. One step up would be a Shimano Charter Special. I bought a couple for $89. Little bit more beefier. You didn't mention what you are upgrading from.

Good Fishin

· Registered
3,466 Posts
The c3 hold up good as well as the RC60's in saltwater. Just rinse them off after use and maintain them yearly. I don't like the double paddle wheel on the c3's for bigger fish. I've banged my knuckles. I like the RC60's power handle for saltwater fish. The better drag and handle are worth the extra $. Same line capacities on both reels.

· Registered
423 Posts
You can buy an Abu 6500 C3 which has a clicker (the 5500 does not) for less than $80 if you look around... At one point Boaters World had Rod and Reel combos for about $80... Either way its hard to beat the quality of the Abu for the money... They are the worlds best selling baitcaster... They have newer more pricey models with more stainless bearings etc but the C3's have been around a long time and are well designed... Everyone I know that has ever had them loves them...

· Registered
295 Posts
Abu, Shimano, and Daiwa are all great reels. I have a few of each and I would say my favorite is the Daiwa coastal series reels. They run about $130 new and are great. They are a little lighter and smoother than abu's and shimanos and hold up to the salt great.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts